or Connect

Posts by BurnsideMommy

We now live in the Lincoln district and I would strongly recommend against that school! We used to live in the Hoover district - great school! The class sizes at most public schools are large (IMO) though. We acutally have a house for sale in the Hoover district. Adams is another great school. I know people happy with Jefferson & Wilson though as well - but not outstanding like Hoover & Adams. Franklin is a great school - not a district school, but a...
I loved the idea of the program and the DVD. It seemed pricey but we went for it. We have Alpha for A and Primer for H. We also have Horizon's for A which we hadn't finished so are still using. Maybe it's just me, but I have a hard time teaching the MUS. I didn't learn like that so it just feels awkward to me. I mean it makes sense, but the way I teach Horizon's Austin gets it. The way I try to teach MUS which has way more ideas for the parent so it seems like...
So we have Galloping the Globe, and Cantering the Country and love them. Does anyone know of something somewhat simliar for Canadian geography? Or basically just any canadian geography curriculum?
What are some ideas? I'm thinking of trying some with our homeschool coop group, some with just another hs family or two, and some just us. Pioneer farm Aquarium Forestry museum (this involves staying with my Dad in canada when we go) Tillamook factory local plays police station fire station Aviation museum Any amazing ideas? I'm at a block. How often do/would you do field trips?
First grade here. How often would you do these subjects? Many of our materials can be used one or two days a week, 2 or 4, 4 or 5 days a week (why did they leave out 3 LOL?) Math Science (IF you're doing Physics, Biology, Chemistry AND astronomy) Language Arts (reading, writing, copywork, grammar, vocab, spelling) Language Health (we'll do exercise daily, but like health & safety learning) Art & Crafts Social Studies (history, geography) Other...
I desperately need to develop a routine for fall. My kids thrive on a regular (ish) schedule, and things are way less chaotic for us. Which stinks to some extent cause I love the free flow of not going by a schedule - so my routine will not be super strict. But the kids need an idea of what the norm is - I've seen this every day this summer. So from now until November we're living in this area that has a pool (not sure how long it will be open), and very, very close...
If you could send (PM) me the info, we would love to get these DVDs. Austin is HUGE on science.
Are there any co-op style preschools? Since Austin was 7 months old I knew we wanted to homeschool. Then at age 3 he wanted to go to school too. Our local community college has a co-op preschool for ages 3-5, 3 mornings a week. We signed him up for the fall term (end of Sept to early Dec) and figured I'd see how it went. I volunteered once a week, so he was only gone 2 hours, twice a week - it actually gave me time with Hunter and for a few errands. We had parent...
Yes, we have the Idea book, HOH age 2 and age 3. I keep meaning to buy age 4 and/or 5, but we're trying Little Hands to Heaven right now with my DS and doing a bit of Peak with Books and BFIAR.
I won't be selling my 2 year old HOH until next summer unfortunately. My daughter will turn 3 in May (same month curriculum ends - it's Sept - May plan). So June I'll be getting rid of mine, and moving onto our 3 year old one. Seems like the kids like to 'do' something when their older siblings are doing school, but my oldest never used/needed this, so I'm glad it finally saw use.