or Connect

Posts by Elizabeth2008

Hi - you've probably gotten everything settled by now, but I second the recommendation to go the Pump Station. They will be really helpful!
I think this kind of thing has gone way too far and parents need to push back.  Why are the schools taking these extreme measures?  This isn't preschool but elementary school where children with alergies can be taught not to eat others' food.  Restricting peanuts, fine.  But all the rest is ridiculous.   A child with dairy alergies will not become violently ill if the child next to them is eating dairy.   They are actually listing BRANDS that you should buy!  All of...
  I always find this a curious justification.  I mean, given the absolute draw of technology, the way it totally absorbs us and makes us TUNE out life, and the fact that we ourselves all learned to use computers  even though they weren't even around (for some of us) when we were kids, do we really think a child won't learn to use a computer if they're not exposed to it - at 5 years old!  It's like worrying your son won't learn to masturbate.  :)   There is nothing that a...
DS didn't watch any tv or movies until he as 5.  He's 6 now and he watches one or sometimes two movies/shows a week (on the weekend).  Below are the things we've watched.   Miyazaki films (Totoro (excellent!!!), Ponyo, Kiki's Delivery Service) - these are all great and really fabulous messages for children.   The only Disney we've done are the original Winnie-the-Pooh, the Aristocats (DS loved this), and Finding Nemo.  Oh, and Wall-E, which DS...
consider getting rid of the tv entirely, and just using a lap top for the occasional movie watching.  The laptop can be kept put away so that TV isn't always front and center in your room.  That's what we do.  It works fine!  And an added benefit is that with it put away, you don't turn it on as much.
I think you can just say "we don't watch a lot of tv.  Obviously it's fine for you to have tv on in your home, but don't put on any special shows for dd"    Your daughter is not even 2 yet, so really you shouldn't feel bad about not wanting her to watch tv.  Even the AAP says not screen time before two years old.  If they really push you on it, then just be firm but polite.  I just told my parents "I really would like DS to engage the world in other ways - e.g. with...
I'm sorry this is a tough time for you.  Just remember that you have options before you and you have a right to exercise them.  What's right for one person may not be right for someone else.  Think about what is best for you, and also what is best for your 11 year old.
There really is no ethical problem at all.  People all over the world live with full families in one bedroom accomodations.  You do what you have to do.   I think it's nice for kids when they get older (4th, 5th grade) to have their own "space" but certainly at age 3 this is not a problem at all.  I live in a very small 2 bedroom apt with my 5 year old, but most nights he prefers to sleep in my room anyway.    You do what you have to do!
If your parents use the internet, I highly recommend you ask them to watch "Consuming Kids:  The Commercialization of Childhood"  It is and EXCELLENT documentary which can be viewed on YouTube as well as here:  http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/consuming-kids/.   I would tell them that it's very important to you and you ask them to please watch it so they can understand where you're coming from.  I think it would be impossible for anyone to watch that film and ever look at...
It sounds like normal kid behavior.  When i was his age I used to do stuff like that (my mom was a total health nut and we never were allowed treats really).  One time I even crawled on the counter to stick my finger in the sugar bowl!!  It's hard because we want to keep our kids from eating crap, but if we're too controlling they end up having to sneak around behind our backs.   Maybe just ask him to tell you when he's really craving something and then you can...