or Connect

Posts by Bluegoat

One possibility is that there may be other folks who are not attending for the same reason you are feeling a bit lonely.  Maybe there is some way you could try and find and connect with those people in some other format.  If you had people you could talk with in a book group or mom's group or something, you might find you didn't need to find a different Temple.
I totally agree that a lot of it is tied up in cultural identity, and for some people, that is all that it is about.  But I don't think that is all of it. You asked who these Jewish people are that think about other religions. For you, being Jewish culturally while having non-traditional beliefs is totally ok - they are compatible. So you don't really need to worry about other religions unless they interest you.  Another person may only be interested in cultural Judaism -...
What I find a bit ironic is that these fake Mithras and Osiris connections are also used by some fundamentalist groups to show that Catholisism is actually pagan.  
  Two points:   There are lots of examples, even here on MDC, or Jewish people saying that Christians have misunderstood Scripture.    I think a lot of people do not worry about people of other religions, which is probably a sensible attitude.  That doesn't mean that people who do don't exist.  And I doubt you will meet anyone who has not considered what it means that there are other religions at all.  I've encountered the claim before that Judaism does not consider the...
Seven hours a day of teaching sounds like a lot to me.  I would ditch the online school.  Maybe spend some time doing nothing, or try a curriculum like Ambleside which someone above suggested.  It has the advantage, besides being free, that a lot of it is reading that they are meant to do on their own.  Or just unschool for a while.   I would look into some resources for chores for kids.  A nine year old should be able to do a ton of stuff, and a seven year old a...
  I think children should always know that there parents will love them no matter what.   Anyway, with regard to books - wide open is a tall order.  I guess if I think back to when I started to read philosophy and theology as a student, I started at the beginning (in the West).  So with looking at the pre-Socratic philosophers, and then Plato.  There is a lot to be said for doing it this way; the difficulty is that for moderns ancient literature can be somewhat...
I don't have a lot of advice, but I am just finishing off K with my daughter.  I found we did much less formal work than I had planned, and this was a good thing.  We did a short reading and writing lesson most days, and music practice.  Then as we felt like it we'd read, do some math work, or explore subjects she was interested.  Other than that she played a lot and spent time outdoors and with family.   She real;y blossomed with just the amount we did, and I can...
I'm planning for one now.  We did K this year - phonics, Cursive First, and music and art classes.  Plus just fun reading on a lot of subjects.   Next year we are planning on using the Ambleside Online year 1 plan.  DD1 is reading pretty well, so we are doing a spelling oriented plan for phonics - I ordered Spelling Through Phonics, which I hope will be good. I need to find a French program, and we may use MEP for math.   We are still going to do art (a class for...
I think there is some truth to this.  But I suspect we'd find that people have a similar view of men who work primarily with their bodies.  Most people don't think of, say construction workers, as being brilliant guys.  Or male models, which is almost a joke phrase.  Or even stay at home dads might get a very similar attitude, or a worse one.   I think the sexualization thing is part of a bigger package though.  We have really separated sex from mother/fatherhood, and we...
  I agree that people can feel torn because of love and expectations as much as through direct aggression.  But I don't think you are going to be able to solve this in the way you are hoping.  Maybe by stopping loving, but that would be worse I think.  Stopping expectations is possible to some degree, but I don't think that means giving no framework for how you think the world works.  I suppose I think you are going to communicate that to your kids whether you intend to...