or Connect

Posts by Bluegoat

Sure, one does see this.  Obviously in one sense from a Christian perspective, if a Jewish person has rejected Christianity, then they have missed the boat.  Then sometimes you see Christians speak as if the pre-Christian Jews ought to have somehow expected the whole NT to happen, which is an strange and silly idea.  Why would they have?  Even from a strict NT perspective, the whole thing was very much unexpected by everyone.   On the other hand, there are lots of...
  I'm not angry - just perplexed.   I was not thinking particularly about religious texts, as in foundational religious texts.  I was assuming the questions which you were thinking of were things like "what does the text say such and such" or ones that were not obvious from basic texts or oral traditions of the religion, or questions like "why do we believe this tradition at all".   There are, as Purple Sage pointed out, there are whole libraries of books that address...
  For some reason the whole post won't appear here - anyway, I'm sure you know what you said.   I'm not sure why you decided on the science lesson.  I do actually know quite a bit about science, as it's an area I'm very interested in.  I even know a fair bit about the teenage brain - I didn't see the need to go into details beyond what I needed to illustrate my point, since it was off-topic.  Children question worldviews and think about trustworthy sources beginning when...
    Your first paragraph makes no sense.  Why does a multiplicity of views about what is true mean there is no truth?  That is like saying when you receive a wrapped birthday gift, and everyone makes a guess as to what it might be, it means that there is no actual gift in the box.  Does the gift only exist when it is revealed and everyone agrees what it is?  If weird uncle herb thinks it is a cooking utensil when it is a carpentry tool, does that mean it is neither? ...
Yes, it seems different in different places.  Canada is pretty secular generally.  We probably have just over half who are basically secular, and then Christians and, weirdly enough, Buddhists, and then a small Muslim population.
What do you mean by subtle brainwashing?  Is it more subtle to tell your children that you think Heaven exists, for example, or that you think it doesn't?   I don't know anyone that answers those questions from younger kids by saying "I won't tell you what I think, but here are the ten major philosophical outlooks on the issue."   I don't have a problem with teaching kids about other religions - but doing it in an organized way comes after you have taught them what you...
Most of the ones I know didn't break away from anything - they were raised without religion and haven't much thought about it.  The majority of our population is secular, with a lot of tolerantceof those who are religious.  People are pretty free to do what they want.  But generally people stay with what they were raised with as a choice or in a passive way, be it a kind of positive atheism or secular humanism, or a religious belief, or most just not thinking much about...
I think there is some truth to this.  But it also works the other way - people who are raised with no religion often drift along with that rather than really examaning what might be called their "worldview", or kind of assume that it is the default or most sensible position without looking seriously into religion at all.   So I do think the idea that raising kids without religion will "allow them to choose for themselves" is false.  And I hear that said all the time,...
  So you would feel comfortable in a discussion of MDC Muslim women to say you kept the Koran locked up so that it didn't damage your children?  Or you think it is ok when Christians go on to pagan forums and say how paganism is warping children?  
  I think this in really not an assumption - it is an interpretation.  If the claim was that the Jews had somehow really known about the Incarnation and that is what they intended to mean in the texts all along, that would be an assumption - and a rather foolish one.   What I think  dalasmuller is suggesting is rather different - from a Christian perspective, the pre-Christian Hebrews would have had no idea about the Trinity or Incarnation.  But that doesn't mean that...