or Connect

Posts by Bluegoat

I'm curious - do you go into Jewish or Muslim threads and make these kinds or offensive comments that don't even add anything to the discussion?  Because most people wouldn't - it's pretty arrogant and ignorant.
There are a few issues that I see causing you trouble here.  As far as the details you mention, I think you are missing some of the theological pieces.  You seem to want to find everything with a reference in Scripture - but why?  The Church has never ever taught that everything is in Scripture.    A good example of this would be Mary's perpetual virginity.    Where would one find it mentioned logically?  It doesn't make sense as part of the gospels, or epistles.  It...
  I don't think anyone thinks that ancient cultures were all we would like in their treatment of women, or of other groups of people either.  That asn't the point.  Some of the passages you quoted don't seem particularly relevant though to the question of how God wants people to be treated.  No one argues that the psalms indicate that it is a good idea for us to dash babies heads out, even if they are the babies of our enemies.   Some of them are also quotes from...
I am what I guess could be called a very traditional Anglican.  I do not believe in the rapture, nor any of the pre-post or mid tribulation stuff.  As far as I am concerned, it is an invention and does not reflect anything the Church has ever taught.   Also, as far as I know, there are no Christian dogs, and even those who believe this sort of thing generally don't think it includes dogs.  There is actually insurance you can buy to take care of your pets in the event you...
With regard to the OP - I don't think these findings are odd or unexpected, but the headline claim if over-reaching and irrational.  Showing that paganism was mixed in with Jewish worship in some times and places is no surprise to anyone.   Also, the people living in that area often shared language.   As far as the Bible being edited to keep this secret, it is pretty well accepted that the people one might call proto-Hebrews did worship a pantheon, and that some of...
  I hope you don't mind if I give my answers to your questions - I think they are very interesting.   The first question is probably the one I have the least of an answer for, as most Christians do not consider that we are under that aspect of the Law any longer.  So it isn't really a practical issue for modern Christians.  I think that to answer it would require looking at some larger issues - what is the Law, and why did God give it for an example.  I'd also think it...
What were the reasons that you chose to enter the Catholic Church as opposed to another group?
Thanks.  Sometimes I really fail on this though.   Did you ever see "A River Runs Through It"?  It was an ok movie, a great book.  But in the movie the father is teaching the son how to write.  He has him write an essay, and then condense it down to two pages, then one, then a paragraph, then a sentence.  A great writing exersize IMO.  
I don't think Heaven or hell are places.  We all have immortal souls and are in God's presence after death, and god loves us all.  But if we have set ourselves against god, we experience his love as a kind of consuming fire.
THanks.  This has been helpful - I think I may see a way to explain what he is asking.