or Connect

Posts by Bluegoat

Ok.  So from this perspective why do we err - just because we are bad?  The fellow I am talking about feels that although there are a few people who might do so because of lack of understanding (children for example) most people do it knowingly.  And what about people who want to do the right thing, but seem unable to stop themselves?  He doesn't seem to think that is really true either - I get the impression he thinks that if we really tried, this would never happen.  
I've been having a discussion with a Muslim fellow on another forum.  He is asking about a few Christian doctrines, around the Fall and a few other things.   I'm having trouble figuring out the way he's thinking about the Fall.  What he is telling me about what Muslims think seems a little off, and I'm not sure if he is just having trouble explaining, or is way out there, and it makes it hard to answer his questions.   So, in talking about how it is that Adam and...
Sanctification is a term usually found in Catholic or Protestant circles, althought they use it in slightly different ways.  The East tends to talk about theosis, which has overlap with the idea of sanctification as used both by Catholics and Protestants.   Orthodox Wiki defines it this way: Theosis ("deification," "divinization") is the process of a worshiper becoming free of hamartía ("missing the mark"), being united with God, beginning in this life and later...
It is true that individuals, including the Church Fathers, can be in error.  But remember that Tradition is what is accepted by the whole Church, not just some.  So it could be something that is agreed upon after a local counsel, or an ecumenical councel, or even something that is just universally agreed upon.  Infant baptism might be an example of the latter - it was never controversial, was was accepted by the whole Church.   Or onfirmation was in the East of infants,...
It might be possible to do some sort of online Bible study together - I'm not sure the best way to set it up...  We'd have to decide what text to look at  - maybe something not too controversial for a first try at doing an online Bible study>? I wonder if there is a site that is set up for that kind of thing?   I don't see the priesthood as being added later - there seem in my reading to have been a priesthood in the Christian Church from very early on.  I also don't see...
Shami, icons and depictions have been around since long before Scripture was canonized.  It was only specifically addressed later in councils because some people began to argue that they shouldn't be allowed.   Your right of course that each individual is going to have to make a decision.  No one can get away from that reality - even not making a decision is making a decision.  You mention that we all consider that the Apostles actually knew what they were talking...
  A genuine believer in Christ could also be a heretic, so I think you are making an equivalence that would not occur to an Orthodox, Catholic, or even a Lutheran or an Anglican.  Unitarians may genuinely believe in Christ (and what that means is pretty broad - believe that he was the Son of God, or God, or a good guy, or what?) but they are from a Christian POV heretics.  
Something I would like to add to this.  It isn't just the people who seem obviously full of pride, or arrogance, or whatever, that can fall prey to this.  It often seems to happen most spectacularly to those who seem the most holy, the exact kind of people that we might expect to have some kind of new revelation or way of thinking about things given by God.  It is the people who have gone very far on the path to God who can face the most subtle and fiercest attacks, and...
  Well, you could, and who knows, he might tell you.  But it would not contradict or add to what had been said before - the deposit of faith is complete.  So if you received an "answer" that was additional, or contradictory, you would know it was incorrect.
The CC would also not accept dispensationalism, or the possibility of new revelation.  Nor would the Protestant reformers for that matter - they would be generally horrified.  And all that Rapture stuff was pretty much invented in the 1800s.  Good fodder for bad pulp literature, but no basis in Christian theology.