or Connect

Posts by bananabee

Could you make weekly videos of yourself talking to your daughter when you are in a better state of mind? Read stories to her, sing bedtime songs, tell her how proud you are of her for specific things you know she's accomplished that week? Then have her do the same so she can really talk to you and feel like she is getting your full attention. It's possible you can gain some inner strength by creatively working around your current limitations and developing a better...
I love to sew, and have found the times I sit down to do this are great for telling my DD (now 3 yrs old, but this worked at 2 yrs) I was busy and to go play. She resisted at first, and would pester me, but I kept repeating "Mommy is busy, sweetie. Go play." It helped when I made her a tutu and put some music on so she could run all over and dance. Other times, I just told her to go play. At first I felt so guilty and rude, but then I discovered she would enter into the...
One thing I don't get that you are saying, Contactmaya. "The gift is for the child, not the recipient." That doesn't make any sense to me. Of course the gift is for the recipient, and the point is to teach children to give and appreciate the important people in their lives. Your son is 5 yrs old, and he may have expressed angst about not having a dad to give a present to, and the teacher probably asked if there was another man in his life, or delicately asked if any men...
You could tell her that her dad was sick and not well enough to be a daddy to her. Later when she's older, explain that he is an addict, and he may never recover, and that being an addict messes up a person's brain so they aren't able to care much about other people. That way she understands it's not necessarily that he's a "bad" man, and she knows that it has nothing to do with HER. She is the most precious daughter anyone could ever ask for, and someday she'll...
What kind of problems is she giving you? It may help to know that in the middle of a custody battle, or whatever it is exactly that you're going through, there are a lot of high emotions. In time, once things are decided and a routine is established, generally the emotions subside and sharing a child gets easier.    Feel free to open up and describe what's going on. A lot of us ladies here have been jaded because our ex's have primarily only cared about the money, so...
Wow! He let you have a Christmas tree? Sounds like a GREAT husband. Kidding. Other than letting you have a tree and calling if he's going to be late, he sounds exactly like my ex. Hope you get out soon, because doing it all alone is soooo much better without a constant critic sneering down his nose at you. He is not that smart. LOL He's just more selfish than the average smart person, which makes him think everyone else is weak, therefore stupid.   Thankfully, that...
Hah!! Good!! Sounds like you have a good lawyer. 
Just an idea: Call him "Uncle _____", and let your son get to know him that way, then when your son asks who his daddy is, tell him you didn't find a good daddy for him, so Uncle _____ helped you make him, and here he is! This wonderful little boy you always wanted. Wasn't it so nice of Uncle _____ to help him come into this world?    Sure, he'll have more questions as he gets older, but that should satisfy his curiosity in a lot of ways. There's no mystery man out...
Bumping up this thread for the newbies here, and also to see how everyone else who posted on here last year is doing. It's been 3 years since my XH walked out, 1 1/2 since the divorce was final, and DD is 2 1/2 yrs old. Life just gets better and better. Happy holidays, everyone, and big hugs to the newly single moms. 
I would listen to your family. Take him to court after the baby is born and paternity can be established. Until then, he can just deny it's his all he wants. Why spend time arguing when you have such great family support? It will just turn your pregnancy into a rollercoaster ride, which is the last thing you and your baby need. Save your breath, energy, resentment, etc for later. Who knows, maybe he might even admit it's his by the time the baby is born and change his...