or Connect

Posts by kindchen

Your son and his friends are obsessed with Legos, and that means the company is predatory? The marketing that is somehow causing this desire are the little pamphlets that come in the Lego packages? Are you serious?   Lego makes a cool toy, and your son and his friends like them and want more. I think this is a human tendency. My kids can get fixated on wanting more and more of something and being ungrateful for what they have. It is sort of a curse of prosperity, I...
There are two things I don't understand here. I don't understand being "shocked" that a 7-year-old pushed someone. Is that really shocking? I mean, he didn't punch him in the nose, right? They were all play-fighting, and your son just took it a bit far. That doesn't really seem malicious.   I also don't understand the idea that you want your son to know that you are always on his side. To me, that implies that you would stand next to him, pushing the other kid...
Congratulations on your pregnancy! We live in the Southeast, and we've gotten only positive reactions to our third pregnancy. My husband has lots of colleagues with four or even more children. People tell us a lot that they would have loved to have three or more, but couldn't afford it. I guess that is a sort of strange thing to tell a random stranger pregnant with number three, but I know it isn't meant to be rude. More like, "lucky you, that you can afford that," like...
You have to tone down the worry, or you're going to have a miserable pregnancy. Normal daily stress doesn't hurt babies--you going crazy with worry over every little stressor during pregnancy is much more likely to hurt YOU. Take care of yourself--go have a nice meal, or take a bath, or whatever you usually do to help yourself feel better after a stressful day (except maybe heavy drinking:-).
I ignored my mw's advice to drink nettle & red raspberry leaf tea in my first pregnancy, and bled enough after delivery to need injections of pitocin and methergine after the herbs she gave me did not stop the bleeding.   In my second pregnancy, I drank the tea, and had almost no bleeding. Of course, I can't be sure that the tea made the difference, but I certainly don't think it hurt.   I'm on my third pregnancy, and I need to go out and get the herbs, because...
That happens to me and it is really icky. My midwife told me it was okay to take Prevacid, and that has helped. That might not be an acceptable solution for you, though. I'm on my third pregnancy with horrible heartburn and first one with reflux, and I tried all the more natural remedies first. NOT losing sleep over heartburn or waking up choking on my stomach contents has been priceless.   Oh, and I don't know if this would work for you, either, but just something...
Yes, I would just trust that the majority language will not be a problem, and use the early years to get the child as strong in the minority language as possible. It is SO hard to encourage the minority language later on. Your child will be native in the majority language, unless she is extremely sheltered from the majority culture.
It's funny--when I read your post, it sounded like your son was adopted. I mean, you make it sound like he doesn't share YOUR ethnicity. But he is your biracial, biological son right? So he has tons of contact with people from one side of his ethnic background. When you talk about "his family" and "his biological side" it sounds like he doesn't share your family and your biology, but if he is your biological child, then he does.   It seems odd to me that you refer to...
I kind of think that there are all these men in the U.S. walking around not complaining, either (a) because they don't know what they're missing, or (b) if they are having issues related to circumcision, they might not be comfortable talking about it.    My husband is intact, because he is European. He was shocked and horrified to learn that most men of his generation in the U.S. are circumcised. From the perspective of a woman, I can say from my experience that sex with...
I just used a deepish bathtub, and it worked great! I'm a tall person who gets huge when pregnant, and there was plenty of space in a tub that is deeper than usual, but not a huge garden tub.