or Connect

Posts by nycmom18

Sorry, I was interrupted;) I was saying how I thought tics were involuntary. He's a very bright and happy child. He doesn't talk about things that he's worried about often, though I believe he does have a little anxiety such as when he's going to meet a new family member that he's never met. But other than that, he's the most social person I know, always wanting to go places and talks to everyone he meets. It just seems as though he has better social skills than most...
I guess the thing for us is that it never seemed to be a problem, and now we're just starting to wonder. Can therapy help with tics? We believe his are genetic.
We're also most likely moving in six months, so I'm wondering if it would be beneficial to start therapy now and make progress hopefully before he starts public school, or if we should wait until we're settled in our new city and stick with someone.
Is this therapy something that we need a referral from a doctor? Do most public schools offer these services? Or is this something we just search for ourselves? We're trying to decide I we need to see a neurologist or not. The tics at this point, don't really interrupt his daily life, and they're not every second of the day for the most part. We're almost positive it's anxiety and genetics. I know I wouldn't do medication at this point. Though I think a therapist would be...
Great info, thank you! In thinking a behavioral therapist would be quite helpful for ds. Our doctor mentioned cognitive therapy. Where does this fall into? Is it just another word for behavioral therapy?
Hi mamas. I don't really know about the different types of therapy. Such as OT, behavioral therapy, cognitive therapy etc. I'm just stating the different types I've heard today. We had our well visit today for my ds who is 6 years old. He's had nervous tics for about three years now. I mentioned it to the doctor and she recommended we see a pediatric neurologist and possibly cognitive behavioral therapy? My question is, what will these therapies help my son with? It what...
Also, what kills staph? We don't use antibacterial hand soaps, but are pretty good about washing our hands.
We went for ds well visit today and showed the doctor these little spots on his knees. She said they were either irritation or coxsackie virus. So after the appointment, I emailed her to ask if I should do anything for it if it were a virus, and when she replied, she said to watch out if it gets bigger then it could be staph. Now I'm kind of freaking out about staph. I've been putting tea tree oil on the spots. Some look a little blistery. There's maybe five little spots...
Can anyone recommend a great pediatric neurologist in NYC? Ds is six years old and has tics. I'm looking for someone who is not going to push meds, and even possibly would recommend natural alternatives. We're also looking mainly for parental guidance, as we already know what ds has, but I feel like we're not doing out best for him. Does that make sense? Obviously someone who is gentle and wonderful with children. Tia!
It's funny, because we ended up homeschooling for kindergarten this year, just by chance. And while I think we're finally starting to enjoy it, we plan on doing public school for next year. I think my son really needs a lot of socialization to be happy. The food factor will definitely be a concern of mine. I'll obviously be packing his lunch, but things like birthday treats at school is just something I'm not comfortable with. It'd almost be easier to say he can't have...