or Connect

Posts by black balloon

Quote: You absolutely expect to be arrested for beating up the next person who officiously says "Oh, well leukemia/treatment of leukemia is NOTHING nowadays." this one nearly made me cry. Although Aurora never finished treatment (she ended up being one of the 6 percent who developed seizures, which were eventually fatal), I probably would have been physically violent with anyone who dared say that to me.
Welcome to MDC, and congratulations! Twins are a wonderful gift.
We had Rory's memorial yesterday. it was a beautiful day here, warm and sunny but not too hot. On a day like this when she was healthy, Rory would have been out hiking and swimming with daddy all day. The ceremony was small and private and she is buried next to her uncle John now. It might sound strange, but the time since she's been gone, I've felt joyful, like a big weight is gone. There will be no more struggle for her, no more spinal taps, pain, or seizures. No...
At 2:30 in the morning of 19th March, 2009, Aurora quietly slipped away from us. Although her fight was not long, it was valiant, and we were proud of her. She was tired. She is missed, but we are not sad, we know that this is what is best for her. the past several days have gone by in a blur. Aurora's presence was great, and there is now a hole. Aurora had a good life, and we're happy that her almost-four years were full. We know that she's up in heaven waiting to be...
We're going to bring Rory home (http://mothering.com/discussions/sho....php?t=1051763) instead of having her in the hospital. We're bringing home her oxygen and her gtube, but we've decided not to do any more cancer treatments. We have a 24/7 nurse coming to care for her. keeping her on the vent & feeding tube is just delaying the inevitable, and my husband and I know that, but we're praying and hoping for a miracle. I think on some level though, we just don't want her...
In December, my 3 year old daughter was diagnosed with cancer. In February, she had a seizure which left her severely brain damaged. She is on a ventilator and a feeding tube and if she wakes up she will very likely have severe challenges and require feeding tube & breathing tube for the rest of her life. On one hand, she has brain activity, though minimal. On the other hand, she is in a lot of pain, and keeping her alive is more for my partner and I than for her....
(not in your ddc, just lurkin' on by...) when my almost-4-year-old was small, I thought that I would NEVER have her in dresses, except when we were at "functions", etc. however, I found myself dressing her in dresses ALL THE TIME. she was born in spring and we lived in a warm climate at the time, but lots of them came with separate "diaper covers" rather than the built in snap crotches and it made changing diapers so much easier. i'm lazy.
Just going to echo what Cristeen said...if you know your ovulation/conception date, it's hard to go by anything but that. Even ultrasound isn't infalliable. Aurora, my older child, was "due" by an ultrasound on April 11th. She was born 21 days later, at a normal weight/length/development appropriate to a 40 -weeker. This time, I know my conception date and probably won't have an ultrasound, but if he comes 21 days after his "due date" it still won't surprise me, KWIM?
I am one tired mama, and I'm just sick of being pregnant...at 8 weeks. DD is sick, and it's getting harder for her to have an upbeat spirit about the pokes, prods, pain, treatments...it was her spirit that was keeping me upbeat about it and now I just don't have the energy...my baby is always miserable and unhappy and her beautiful curly chestnut hair is falling out in clumps, a little more every day. and as if I needed any more stress, DH and I have been having...
We're also TV-free! (My husband hates television. I've never watched very much, but my husband hates it. Ask him what his three least favorite things in the world are and I can guarantee his answer as "racism, drugs, and television") I wonder if there's a correlation between the amount of music people listen to and their TV viewing.