or Connect

Posts by guestmama9910

"Hallmark holiday" or not, we keep nearly every holiday we can think of with cards at the very least. Valentine's Day we keep by distributing cards and chocolate hearts to friends and loved ones. The cards tend to be pretty blank-inside cards with an appropriate quote written in our best penmanship (my husband does calligraphy as a hobby), then a more personal note. Our family goes out to a nice restaurant altogether at lunch, we bring home flowers and then we have...
I would consider it rude of myself to foist a food restriction on my hosts, whether it was vegetarian, food allergy, or traditional foods, when I am a guest, and I would never take it as a reason not to socialize. On the flip side, I consider it rude of a host to take notice if I eat around anything on the plate. I believe Miss Manners said something about that unspoken guest-host contract at some point. -- AnnaArcturus
I don't know if my perspective will help at all, but it is based on a combination of a few traditional foodways and has helped me feel satisfied: Eat only until I'm 80% full. (Japanese and Okinawan) Never eat between meals, not even a carrot stick or a sample at a grocery store. (Western European, even American until recently.) Take my time with my food, take small bites, savor and chew very well, pause between swallowing and taking another bite in order to talk......
For a simple supper, I like a salad topped with good, homemade bruscetta (a lacto-fermented, non-spicy Italian "salsa") with a hunk of good bread on the side. I also enjoy a crock of French onion soup with homemade beef bone broth, yellow onions, extra garlic, apple cider, and brewer's yeast, topped with a slice of stale toasted bread and cheese. Any kind of savory porridge, particularly with loads of onion and kale, topped with tomatoes and mushrooms works on a cold...
If you're absolutely strapped to start and need the exact minimum, you can thrive on a sheath dress in a neutral color and a sweater. Really. Most of Europe got by on a skirt and a sweater after World War II (well, the female half). I recommend the dress rather than a skirt because it is more flattering on a plus sized figure and more versatile. Example, you can wear it on its own or put on the sweater to do the sweater and skirt look, to start. Gradually you can add...
You can make your own without much trouble. If you want a "hardcover" magazine binder, take the guts out of a binder you like or a hardcover book you don't, then make a series of holes along the top edge of the binding and the bottom. Thread long round elastic (the kind from hairbands) through these holes so that the top and bottom are connected, make it tight but not taut. Finish your project however you like, such as wrapping the cover in fabric. To put a magazine...
mama to 2 girls, Well, I've browsed PubMed and JSTOR on webbed, trapped, and buried penises. I'm afraid to say that the majority of information available described surgical intervention, and in the abstracts describing the new improved surgical techniques, they took pains to mention that all the boys in the study were already circumcised. But here's the reality check for you: is your son in pain? Does his penis function properly? What happens when he has an erection?...
Where do you go for your organic and holistic goods? Are you able to find any locally made? We just lucked out recently and discovered White Lotus Futon in New Brunswick (now Highland Park, apparently). We bought two organic pillows, one an all buckwheat filled neck roll, the other a buckwheat and wool "regular" pillow, both are in a matching organic cotton print. First impressions are that the store and the product are awesome. They also stock furniture, bedding,...
For all of us who are still plugging away at our New Year's resolutions, before we lapse for the year. My primary resolution this year was to reduce and simplify our lives. I made tremendous progress giving away most of our books, kitchen items, unused craft items, all our old holiday stuff (we drastically simplified the holidays), but now that it takes a lot more work sorting through things, I'm stalled and could use the kick in the pants to get my four...
looveagreevy and any future women who might read this in similar straits, do you have any idea why the father is making these threats? Ever since the government made child support mandatory and began denying women with children aid unless they named a father the state could pursue child support from, increasing numbers of would be deadbeat Dads have been pursuing custody, or at least threatening to, in order to dodge child support. In this particular case, a man with a...