or Connect

Posts by BarnMomma

My daughter will be three in a few weeks. She is set to start school in September but must be fully potty savvy or she cannot attend. We love this school, older DS went there, so switching schools is not an option. We began introducing the potty 6 months ago. There has been ZERO progress. If left alone she would just pee and poop in her diaper without a thought. We do all the usual stuff, take her at regular intervals, give praise, even rewards but she will not ever...
OP here. I want to clear a few things up. Of course I was addressing my son's behavior. I was calmly and repeatedly asking him to speak nicely. I wasn't screaming back at him which is the reaction my mother was probably looking for from me. So she felt the need to "handle it." When I do something wrong, such as yell, I apologize to my son. Even if I have to do it 3 times in a day. Apologies are important. Pride can destroy a person. As for the toys, it's a...
I'll do my best to keep this short. My mother is a handful. She has lots of great qualities but way more lousy ones. Growing up was stressful and I have more bad memories than good. From the outside all way fine and dandy. In her mind she spoiled me. In my reality she was controlling, hurtful, manipulative, and mean and emotionless. She guilt trips and dismisses feelings. She yells. She insults. She is very judgementel. For lack of a better phrase, she's always...
So this morning I decided to let today be a new dawn of kind parenting. When DS woke up I cuddled him in bed and we had a talk about how both us behaved badly yesterday and today we would start anew. I said after breakfast we would make " be nice" flowers. Flowers with little reminders to talk nicely, no yelling, kind words, and good listening. Breakfast went smoothly. Then it was time to get readye to go outside. DS only had a short sleeve shirt on and it was chilly...
Ideas!!
I am a high strung, control freak. A perfectionist. I have my issues. This I know. I struggle to better myself every day. Maybe kid stuff bothers me more than others. Maybe not, I just don't know. My son is almost 4 and he is a special, special boy that really just impresses and amazes most people with his many wonderful qualities. I'm not blind to it. I love him dearly. I know how lucky we are to have a beautiful, healthy, bright little soul in our lives. But this...
If you don't own the horse, you can't just ride.  It's a liability issue.  If you don't own the horse, you have to lesson on the barn's animals if you want to ride.  And it's 100% unsafe to let a kid that age just crawl up onto a horse.  MY horse is far too advanced for him.  Not safe.    
I wish I could claim his attention span is limited but this is a child who will get into a project for an hour or two when he wants to.  I'm feeling more he doesn't wish to LEARN how to ride- he prefers his little "pony ride" and then wants off.  But I'm stumped because he really says he wants to; he has a goal of riding with mommy on his own.  So where do I draw the line?  I feellike maybe we should quit, and if he really wants to try again in the summer but he HAS to...
We have a horse,I ride, I spend lots of time at the barn with my whole family in tow.  DS has been at the barn since 3 months old.  DD is now 9 mo old and same thing.      Last fall, DS asked if he could ride and I of course said yes.  So he began weekly riding lessons on a pony with mytrainer who he is very friendly with.  After a month of two she suggested suspend the lessons becasue he seemedto be bored with it (asked to get off, or onlytalkedabout what he was...
THis is our second baby.    DS #1 was fully BF until 2.5 but hopped on the solids bandwagon at about 5 months eating everything and anything by a year old and still at 3.5 he has a palet that puts most adults to shame.  Awesome no-issues eater.  Tall lean strong kid.   DD is now 9 months.  We started solids(pureede veggies, homemade soups, oatmeal etc) at 7 months and it was hit or miss but finally she settled inot 2 "meals"a day.  Then we all got a virus and she...