or Connect

Posts by wookie

The Magic Treehouse series by Mary Pope Osborne is a fantastic intro to chapter books. Each book in the series deals with a particular idea/topic that the protagonist kids have an adventure about. My son, now 8, LOVED reading them serially and still sometimes re-reads the #s he liked most.
My ds sounds like yours, 4evermom. There's a list of 7-8 foods that he will eat out of. They are not necessarily unhealthy, and as I said in another thread he's never eaten a bite of candy, soda or popsicle in his life. He's 7. Like yours, he can taste the difference between different batches of biscuits or crackers, brands of milk etc. Mine will not eat for days (literally, I've experienced it) if he can't find something out of those 7-8 foods. Do you have some kind of...
This is true and also not. In Indian cooking, for example, lots of curries have similar or same base sauces and it's only the veggies that are different so a lot of times many dishes will taste similar. So veggies are not as visibly apparent. Maybe this makes a difference because if a kid likes one kind of sauce switching veggies is easier? Dunno, I'm just guessing.   Another thing that I think plays a part is family size. When I was very young we lived within a joint...
I think I cook a separate meal for my kids almost every day. It's an unpopular opinion here but like some others I have an extremely picky eater. If I didn't cook him what he likes he really, truly wouldn't eat. If we go on a trip somewhere he will eat nothing for the whole duration unless we can procure his favorite snacks like banana, strawberries, milk (we went to Scotland for 14 days one time and he survived only on the above fruits). We are Indian so our regular...
thank you! i did anticipate it being a phase but it's still painful for me. i guess we'll just keep having the conversations like you and one day he'll stop believing this.  
My 6yo son has recently started saying all the time that he hates himself, thinks he's "bad" or says things like who here hates me, raise your hand etc. The first few times I thought it was something to do with the word hate as we'd mentioned that it was a strong word and maybe dislike may be a better option in most situations. Lately though I've been more and more uncomfortable with this. I've asked him in moments of calm why he thinks he hates himself. "Because I do...
it's not a physical activity but decorating cookies! just plain sugar cookies, if you have any icing/food color and some m&ms and an hour gone, no problem :)  
how about fruit kebabs? skewer small pieces of fruit like strawberry, grape, melon, pineapple in any combination on small bamboo skewers (or even toothpicks!) and serve. finished plates always! :)  
Hi, we just moved to the Vienna, VA, area and I'm looking for stuff to do with my 2yo son while the 5yo is in school during the day. Is there a playgroup/get together for coffee etc. things already running in this area? If not, is there any interest in starting one?   Also, with the weather getting cooler, I'm wondering if there any indoor play areas in this area that I can take my boys to? Thanks for any info.