or Connect

Posts by lightinmyhands

i really like the idea of having a theme for a month or possibly a season. How often to have outings?  We don't get out of the house very much, my DH and I share a car and he works 30 min. from home and I've got 3 little ones, one of which is only 3 weeks old and so going out is a lot to ask of the smaller ones....and my 7 year old really doesn't like to go out (even though I think she needs to from time to time).  For instance, right now she's really into sharks and...
i'm a radical unschooler in spirit, but in all practicality---- I (mom) need organization.  I think it might also benefit my eldest as well..... any ideas on how to implement a very loose, very flexible "lesson plan" of sorts.... I'm thinking more of a waldorf 'rhythm' to our days but with certain times set aside for some pre chosen activities?..... thoughts/advice appreciated.
My mom is a teacher and it's impossible for her not to tell me that I'm doing my children a disservice by unschooling.  But she's got no trust in a child's desire to learn because all she knows is school and school kills that desire.  At the beginning I did a lot of reading, John Holt is my personal favorite.  For awhile I told myself that I just had to trust him for a little while and see what happened.  And before I knew it my seven year old did start to read (with...
NW2SE.... actually from all the reading i've done online, that is kind of the exact impression I got of Bend.  Though I bet it is beautiful, I am too affected by weather and want too badly to garden to be able to live there.  Not to mention my boyfriend is a computer programmer and there are just no jobs in Bend that can pay anything near what he  makes now and certainly not attain an equal level of job satisfaction.  Because of his work, it is looking like if we want to...
thanks everyone! Lucius actually came about because daddy really wanted a Roman name somewhere in there as he is fascinated by Roman history, and we both really like Lucius.  As far as DH assisting goes, it was pretty cool, he noticed during Transition that Oscar was posterior and was trying to tell me this for about an hour and I was just in so much pain I couldn't really understand what he was telling me so when it came time to push and I was on my hands and knees he...
barefoot is a pleasure I hate to deny my children. I let my own feet be my guide, if I have a reasonable suspicion that I may step on something if I'm barefoot or if the ground would feel too hot or cold, I don't let my kids go without their shoes, but if I feel as though I'd be safe and comfortable if I were to remove my own footwear, then generally speaking I don't mind if my kids do.
Oscar Lucius arrived yesterday morning at 1:05, after a difficult 27 hours of labor.  He was left occiput posterior which made for a long labor, a 2 hour transition and 30 minutes of pushing that I couldn't have done without his daddy's assistance.   Towards the end we wound up really worried as my water had been leaking for nearly 24 hours and labor seemed to have not been progressing for a handful of those so we went to the hospital to get an ultrasound.  After arrival...
I've actually been taking the chlorophyll with OJ
i think it would be hard to live in this culture and not have at least a mild thyroid imbalance.  however, for me I am pretty positive it's as simple as iron deficiency anemia because i've had two pregnancies close together and with the last one there was quite a bit of blood loss during third stage and I just haven't felt as if I've ever fully recovered my energy from that pregnancy/birth and then I got pregnant again about a year later.
some sources say it is a source of iron, while others say it is not.  I am however feeling much better these days and have since located a local source for yellow dock root and added that as well as kelp daily.  My energy is back, my shortness of breath is gone (except for the normal baby squishing lungs feeling), and I haven't felt faint or dizzy in a few days now.  I'm actually not very much minding the end of pregnancy now that I've built my blood up a little bit....