or Connect

Posts by pisceanmomma

I am having these same issues with my 4.5yo dd.  Her preschool teacher informed me that she had "selective mutism" b/c she wouldn't answer their questions some days.  I went to a childhood therapist, just me, not my DD. They say she's introverted, which isn't a huge surprise b/c I am and my DH is too.  This isn't a character flaw, it's actually that her brain processes things differently than an extrovert.  She has a rich and beautiful inner life that not everyone is...
I have raised DD vegan from birth.  DH is an omni but not a hardcore meat eater.  Home is 100% vegan.  I am slowly talking to DD about why we eat differently than other people and trying to help her understand compassion.  However, I don't want her to have nightmares about factory farms. I hope she follows in my footsteps throughout her life, but the choice will be hers.  I'm happy that I am able to give her a solid foundation in eating healthy plant based non-processed...
http://www.sweetsugarbean.com/2012/03/lucky-lentil-chickpea-curry-with.html Lentil and Chickpea Curry with coconut milk.  Sooo delish!!
This is why I love coming to the mothering forum.  My DD age 4 doesn't clean as enthusiastically as I'd like.  Talking to a dad at her preschool had me all upset, apparently his daughter cleans everything she gets out, never leaves a mess for any reason.  He simply explained to her it was his house and his rules and that worked, from that day forward no mess was ever made.  It's so reassuring to know there are other moms out there going through the exact same thing I am....
I have been veg since we met, and the smells of meat cooking gross me out.  DH has been gracious not to cook meat in our home, only outside on the grill. This has led to him eating a lot less meat as well.  So he's mostly vegan now, it's much easier to have him eat "my" food, and everyone's happy. He is also a great vegan cook, and getting him involved in cooking has made it fun for him to eat vegan as he really enjoys it.  I still hope that someday he will give up meat,...
It's a struggle when sick.  I tend to lie on the couch with some tea and have DD bring me things, and then put them back up.  I still have to read lots of books to her to keep her entertained. I am in the same boat, MIL works all day and doesn't ever have much time to help out.  Sometimes I can get her to lie in bed with me, and "read" to me.  It's more restful.  Being sick is the hardest time to be tv free.  But we don't have a choice, we don't have reception to any...
I also was told my baby wouldn't be vegan because she was breastfed. ????? Also, I had more aversions.  The only thing I craved was ice.  No iron problems, though..  I get more comments now that I am raising a vegan than when I was a pregnant vegan.  Mainly about how "when she is old enough, she will choose to eat meat".  Maybe, but when she is old enough, I am going to tell her why we make the choices we do with our food.  Children are naturally compassionate.  I hope...
We really haven't thought too much about Please.  When we remember, we try to use it.  DD hasn't said it yet.  She can say it, but she is very "independently minded" and is less likely to say it if asked.  MIL tried to enforce Please with her, for food, I was against it.  I didn't really know what to say, so I just said, "DD doesn't know how to say that yet."  I don't think withholding food for a "please" is worth it at all.
I totally agree with you about battery operated toys, and have been lucky not to have received very many as gifts for my DD.  We tell everyone to get her a book.  She has way to many stuffed animal toys.  We did get a really horrible helicopter toy from some one who didn't know us that well.  We hid the toy, DD didn't really notice because she was getting so many others that day.  It went to the thrift.  I'm sure it made some one happy.  
My DD is pottytrained during the day but still needs a dipe at night.  I am using the same prefolds and covers with her that I've always used, and she is outgrowing them now.  I still use the changing table for this, I can't really manage it anywhere else, but it seems a waste of space since she hardly ever wears diapers.  I would like to get something easy to pull off and on, but absorbent enough to last her the night.  I don't think she is anywhere near being night...