or Connect

Posts by dandelion

I was saddened to read some of the posts on this thread, and now remember clearly why I stopped visiting these boards... Simple ignorance is one thing, but chosen ignorance is something else entirely. But since I did come back and read this, I would like to recommend a book to Piglet68 and anyone else who is interested. It's "Lovesong: Becoming a Jew" by Julius Lester. Perhaps some of you have read some of his children's books? He's the son of a Methodist...
CO, I have found that outside of more-frum circles, Jewish women are not very aware of the religious importance of breastfeeding. Even if they've been doing a lot of learning. I think this is because many of the more "modern" rabbis/teachers (of any denomination, including Orthodox) are not comfortable discussing it. Just as many are not comfortable discussing the importance of taharat hamishpacha (family purity). I find this very unfortunate. But as BelovedBird...
So everyone ignored my previous post. That's okay. It's not the first time. I just wanted to add that BelovedBird should be happy she doesn't have to worry about the three-days we sometimes go here in the diaspora. Although even that's not so bad with a good sac to keep the diapers in. I recommend one with a pull-tie to keep odors in! Some people do soak their diapers in a wet pail though. They consider this permissible to avoid the odor. (I suppose...
Good for you! Cloth diapers are so wonderful that I actually miss using them when my kids graduate to the potty. As far as Yom Tov, you can shake off any poop if possible, but not rinse or soak the diapers. And putting them in a bag, (preferably a water resistant washable one), should be fine for an extra day. I'd use a separate bag than the other diapers though. I'm not sure what you're using for covers, but I believe it's actually okay to rinse them off if...
My second baby was born breech at home. A VBAC, no less. It was an incredible experience and I didn't tear a bit. In fact, right after she came out I insisted it was way too easy! It turned out she was breech because her cord was barely attached to the placenta and she wouldn't have been able to survive head-down. I never had an ultrasound, but this would not have shown up on one anyway. I know of several midwives who assist at breech births, but not one of them...
I find it helps to feel spiritual if I focus on ridding the house of chametz rather than dust bunnies. Otherwise I'm simply cleaning. Too often we confuse preparing for Pesach with spring cleaning and go crazy doing things like dusting the tops of door frames, cleaning our ceiling fans, and organizing our closets when it's really only the chamtez (or our "evil inclination") that we're after. Of course this is just my humble opinion. And perhaps just an excuse to do...
Amy, your dh is amazing! We actually buy very little special for Pesach. We buy a case and a half of organic whole wheat matzo, a box of whole wheat shmura matzo, a couple of jams, a jar or two of maple syrup, and several bags of nuts, quinoa, rice and beans. (Kitniyot is not an issue for us.) We also buy a couple of cases of Glendale Farms organic grape juice. Other than that, we use lots and lots of fresh produce and herbs. Avoiding food from animals makes...
If I were sending my children to school, I would expect their teachers to try their best to observe the mitzvot; knowledge of Torah, without understanding or observance would not be sufficient. I mean, would you want your child's math teacher to truly understand the math or just have the ability to teach your child the formulas? And regarding gay teachers -- I recently read an essay by a gay Torah-observant man. Basically, he feels there is no problem with being gay;...
You mean this isn't just a Purimshpiel?
Ooka, I'm sorry you felt my post was disrespectful. I hope you find what you're looking for. Dandelion, who was just giving these boards another try