or Connect

Posts by Ex Libris

Wow, what great ideas and perspective you've given me. I appreciate all of your responses. I really feel in my heart that hs is the best thing for ds. I just needed to hear that it's doable to have something of my own even when hsing. I can get a mother's helper and build in some down time for all of us, like some of you suggested. And as AnnR33 said, I can see what I'm doing as a positive thing for both me and my child, rather than something to survive. It's all a...
Hi everyone, After reading Raising Cain, I'm seriously considering hs'ing my 5 yo son. Before he was even born I had planned to hs, but I've found over time that I really would like to have time for myself to pursue my own interests. I'm an introvert who needs alone time (not a lot, but some every day), and my son is a very spirited, high-needs kid with medical problems (that can translate into sleep and behavioral problems). Frankly, the last 5 years have kind of...
Hi, I was having similar problems with my 5-year-old son until I found a great book called All Children Flourishing by Howard Glasser. http://www.amazon.com/All-Children-F...9578432&sr=8-1 I started using his very simply approach and my son has done a complete turn around in less than a week. I couldn't believe it. I'm still working on some aggression issues that he has with his peers, but it's now only happening because he doesn't know what else to do when kids are...
Quote: Originally Posted by serenetabbie I think Rachelle had some good advice . We had picked up Navigating the Social World on the advice of a good friend. It was pretty helpful for us. DS also goes to a social skills group. Thanks, serenetabbie--I'll check out that one, too. What's a social skills group? Sounds like something we could use! Kelly
Quote: Originally Posted by sbgrace A while back I bought a book called The Social Skills Picture Book by Jed Baker. It's a social skills picture story book basically. http://www.amazon.com/Picture-Teachi...9416840&sr=8-1 You can search inside and see if it might be helpful. I never actually used it but it has good reviews. Andrew is Andrew and so I what works for him might not for anyone else of course. But role playing things has helped my kiddo. And...
Hi, Does anyone know of some books or other resources that offer practical guidance on how to help kids with social and emotional skills? My ds is 5 and he's somewhere on the high-functioning spectrum (SPD, some OCD, and some spectrum attributes). He's having trouble with socializing appropriately with his peers. He wants to play with them but doesn't know how. For him, playing with kids means chasing each other around, which ends up over-stimulating him. If he...
Hi abeliamama, My son has similar challenges, and I'm exploring the parenting techniques of Howard Glasser. I've just read All Children Flourishing and have been trying his techniques with success. This newer book of his has the same techniques as his older book Transforming the Difficult Child, but it's supposed to be easier to read and follow. I'm noticing my son being much less aggressive and defiant since starting it. Good luck! Kelly
We're packing up today and heading out tomorrow for Michigan! We'll make a stop in Cleveland and then be in TC on Sunday. I'll be in touch by email when we get there and give you my cell phone. We've got a few houses to look at--maybe I can run the areas past you and see if you could give us thoughts about the neighborhoods? Talk to you soon! Kelly
Quote: Originally Posted by Jennifer3141 I'm sorry it's taken me so long to respond. DH is off theis week so we've been "adventuring" every.single.day. I'm exhausted! Most of my friends call me Jen. GR is about 100 miles south of TC. It's mostly highway driving and like I said, we kept our condo there so for me, it's no big deal to go down and spend the day and/or night there. I did see the communal gardens at Pond Hill. We helped an elderly...
Quote: Originally Posted by blessedmum That is quite inspiring. We would love to do something that sustainable, I just wonder if we could pull it off or if we would end up with half of a gnome home and have to give it up! We are tossing around ideas about starting a CSA or cow/goat milk shares or herb farm. Anyone have anything you are missing up there and would like to see close by? Let me know I'd love more inspirational ideas. I'd...