or Connect

Posts by Ex Libris

My ds is on the spectrum and is having major high oxalate/low iron/leaky gut issues. He's on all kinds of supplements to help with this, but I'm having a hard time figuring out what should be taken when. Is there some kind of reference schedule that will simplify things, with info like "iron shouldn't be taken with zinc or calcium" and "probiotics are best taken first thing in the morning." That kind of thing. Please tell me this exists! Thanks, Kelly
Quote: Originally Posted by caedmyn Have you tried just eliminating wheat (and gluten) for at least 6-8 weeks? Allergy testing isn't terribly accurate, especially in young children. If you think he is reacting to wheat an elimination diet would give you a definitive answer. I've tried it, but never for that long. This last time we eliminated it for about 3 weeks, until the tests came thru negative. I thought that was the end of it, but since...
Thanks, caedmyn, for all the great information. I'm actually a member of the LOD and Vit K2 yahoo groups and we started ds on K2 and VSL3 a week or so ago. We've also been doing magnesium and melatonin, but he's reacting to both of those. It's the diet that has me stumped. I'm really thinking that ds is sensitive to wheat b/c he craves it like a drug addict, but his celiac and skin tests came back negative for wheat allergy. And he definitely has problems with...
Hi everyone, I'm new to this discussion, though I've lurked for awhile. I just found out that my ds (3, with SID) has leaky gut because of a horrible reaction he had to Miralax that the dr prescribed. I finally found a different dr who knows something about this, and he said that the fact that ds reacted to the Miralax tells us he has gut problems. I plan to look back at all of the previous discussions, but in the meantime I was hoping that I could ask a couple of...
:
Thanks, nurturedbirth, for the great overview! I'm going to get started with testing right away. I'm a researcher, too, which is part of how I ended up in this state--constant reading and researching to try and help my ds. Now I need to take care of myself . . . Kelly
Good point. I know you're right--address the underlying problem, not go for the quick fix. I guess it just feels like a matter of simplicity and ease--I can reach for the Zoloft prescription in the cabinet (easy) or research yet another thing with my very tired and overstressed brain (hard). : I know it's silly. I'll try to buck up and study the thread. Unless someone wants to give me the cliff notes version about what to do first!
Quote: Originally Posted by NocturnalDaze If you have AF and/or thyroid problems then Zoloft is just going to be a Band-Aid. It's not treating th real problem.... I understand this, but how do I get out of this horrible state I'm in right now? I'm so worried about my son, and have been for 3 years, and my body is at its limit. I feel light-headed, nauseous, and have loose bowels--classic fight or flight and I can't get out of it. My ND...
Quote: Originally Posted by wendy1221 How much Benefiber are you giving. I have tried different fibers in the past, maybe I wasn't giving enough. I really would like to get him off the Miralax, I just don't know what else to use. Check out the yahoo group, especially the Files and other links. They have suggested all kinds of alternatives that work just as well without harming your child.
Quote: Originally Posted by Rachel J. It has not been tested on children and some more recent studies show that absorbtion into the body is highly variable (some don't absorb any while other absorb a lot). That's not something I want to mess with. There are numerous parents of autistic or SIDs children on that site who have seen their children regress/become worse on miralax/glycolax and many have improved since going off (usually after a detox...