or Connect

Posts by AutumnSunshine

We have a joint checking for family expenses, I have my own rarely used checking account should I ever have any personal money and dh has a checking account with only his name on it which is used only for his mother to withdraw money for herself overseas (we are her sole source of support). If my husband had any other accounts, especially a savings account or anything else into which family money goes, my name should be on it. My name is also on ALL family property such...
Quote: Originally Posted by onyxravnos Hi mamas. I suppose this would be the tread to crash I don't know if i really want to convert to islam but i would like to know more about it. Can anyone suggest non-muslim friendly websites or books? I'm most interested in the practices... like the ritual of praying, covering, rules of conduct. I've read some online but it seems as if they always assume I have a general idea of what they are talking about OR...
I have a Brother machine (a 6000-cxi or something like that, but they make many models that are similar) that has a speed control. So if you feel like you are unconfident at the machine and you don't want to accidentally push down on the pedal and have it run away with you (or you want to start your kids out on the machine) you can choose slow, medium, and fast speeds. So on slow, no matter how much you push on the pedal it won't sew faster than 1 stitch per second. I...
Voyage of the Arctic Tern. Highly recommend!!!
I am reading a pile of horse training and care books trying to remember everything I may have forgotten. I haven't ridden in over a decade, but I was a competitive rider as a kid and spent most of my spare time working and playing on my best friend's farm. The stress of homeschooling and having recently moved made me put my foot down and tell dh that I am going to start riding again, a minimum of twice a month (with no babysitters in a new state we have to juggle our...
Quote: Originally Posted by SundayCrepes I just read about this book on amazon. What a great book. It says kids ages 9 to 12. Do you think that's accurate? My son is 4.5 and we're just starting our first chapter book (Little House in the Big Woods.) Do you think this is beyond him? I think it might be, they are longer and the action is slower than the Little House books. Thanks so much for replying. I am still leaning towards not giving it...
http://www.amazon.com/Search-Swallow...3216773&sr=8-3 Thanks so much for your input!!
I will just echo what others said. Also, take it easy on Right Start if you seem to hit a wall with level A and again if you continue on with Level B (that one the "wall" tends to come around Lesson 70-something). I have found that at least once or twice in Levels A and B the kids can come to a point where the mental math can throw them off or they're just not ready for it yet and it really, REALLY helps to take a break for a few weeks and just play the card games that...
My oldest daughter is in love with the Swallows and Amazons series. We are sort of half-unschoolers, loosely Waldorf-inspired, and spend a lot of time emphasizing nature and the outdoors and the books are all about the good old fashioned adventures a group of children has in a beautiful natural setting. This daughter in particular is very nature- and outdoors-oriented and these books really "fit" her beautifully. I just discovered that there is a book of photographs...
Check out the book by Lisa Rivero called "Creative Homeschooling". The original aim of the book is for gifted homeschoolers but it is an incredibly helpful and valuable book for all types of homeschoolers. Check out the section on "big ideas for big thinkers" which suggests an alternative type of "unit studies" approach that may be what you're looking for. HTH.