or Connect

Posts by kimellett

Does anyone know of any helpful books that deal with death? Even better if it is for a target audience of 8 and under! Thanks!
I LOVE LOVE LOVE these: http://www.marcycookmath.com/ttclist.htm the task is you have a series of math problems, and a set of number tiles (0-9) and you can only use each tile once per page! It teaches/reinforces basic skills as well as develops critical thinking, logic, and problem solving. There are SO many topics/skills available you'd be sure to find something you like.
Here's a fun blog I follow http://www.filthwizardry.com/2010/03...nium-foil.html maybe you can get some ideas from that? Pre-make a log thing for each girl ( in all your free time lol!) or just use as a center piece?
Of course you can walk around in Waterfront Park (along the Willamette) and even cross a footbridge under the Steel Bridge. If you are lucky there may be a festival going on, but I think all the festivals start in June with the Rose Festival. ??? At the other end of Waterfront Park (near the I-5 overpass) there is a cute shopping area. No kid stores, but a good lunch place and ice cream. You can usually see ducks swimming around the marina here, and I have even seen...
If the weather is nice (ha ha) you should check out Jamison fountain between NW Johnson and NW Kearney on NW 11th. It's a fountain you can swim in!! It's near a MAX stop and a ton of fun. There is an ice cream (gelato) shop across the street--yum!! We like the Japanese gardens better than the Chinese...it's bigger, more scenic and more like a "hike". Watch out for the Benson Bubblers--fun drinking fountains all around the city. NW 23rd is a good shopping...
I watched a bus driver doing something on his cell yesterday as he was pullling out of the parking lot...???
Brown Bear Brown Bear (by Eric Carle) is a good book to use...don't know if everyone knows the tune you can sing it to (maybe Black Sheep, Black Sheep have you any wool?) but it has lots of animals, colors and "see". I didn't like the signing times videos because they went too fast. Maybe we previewed a "later in the series" video, but the kids in the video knew signs for EVERYTHING, and we couldn't keep up and frankly didn't care about 1/2 the signs they were...
I'm off to the toy store to get some Schleiss animals (those plastic animal figurines from Germany) Plenty of small enough ones to fit in eggs.
When I go to garage sales, the first place I ALWAYS look is the Free box, or the 25 cent box or whatever. There is always at least one useful piece of crap that works wonders on the plane. Sometimes you have to combine, or add a few things, but weekly pill boxes stuffed with pom poms or pennies or beads are fun (and who cares if they fall and are never seen again?), a ziploc of warped (or brand new for that matter!) pipe cleaners, jig saws with a piece or 2 already...
Quote: Originally Posted by mandymichel On the upside, there are Teach for America teachers coming into many of the poor public schools and these teachers are generally way better than the other public school teachers. Most of the TFA teachers are young, smart, recently educated about exciting new teaching methods, and full of energy/enthusiasm. ***warning...slightly OT*** Just have to say THANKS for the postive pr for TFA. I'm an alum...