or Connect

Posts by midnightwriter

I thought it sounded like fun and signed up two years ago. Then my first assigned person had a three paragraph list of specifications--no humour, no touristy, no animals; nothing home made; art, but not just any art--it was some specific era, I don't remember now. This totally turned me off. I didn't have hours for searching, and it was obvious a simple postcard wouldn't be a good fit.   I've been thinking about it again, as the kids are older and might be interested...
For a Saturday Evening comparison:   The ENTIRE mothering boards, of which unschooling is a tiny section: 1917 users (229 members, 1688 guests) The WTM boards, in their entirety devoted to classical homeschooling: 916 users (369 members, 541 guests)
Does the board answer your needs? Would you like things to be different? What would you like others to do to achieve this? What would you be able to do yourself to achieve this? Anything else that I didn't mention? Please elaborate.
Note: ***When I say 'gifted', I also mean 'highly motivated, enaged, passionate'.   Note #2: I meant to have the option of answering more than one question on the poll, obviously, as many here have more than one child. I don't think I can edit it now. Please answer with your 'average' child in the poll (the child that you tend to post most about, or have most questions about, or use as an example most), and add your answers in your posts below.       I know...
I'm curious about the numbers and intentions.
  50 views in 20 hours. Granted, it's weekend, but still.     I recently I googled for reviews of a math program, and stumbled on the Well Trained Mind forums. An unpopular post there would be on page 20 within an hour. That was a bit of a shocker to me--that there are so many people and so many discussions. Now, WTM is not very good to my psyche. I spent a couple of days there, reading in fascination on how I don't want to homeschool (nothing against WTM, but it is not...
Is there a more active unschooling discussion board somewhere? I remember some time ago a new one came up, but I can't even find it anymore, and when I did check it out it was even deader than here. I'd like to see more discussions, more members, more activity, and here we have just a handful of people, and many aren't even as active anymore. It seems like the same topics, the same answers, the same issues, over and over, which is not necessarily bad, but it is not a...
   Absolutely. I'm not even sure that schools are the best place for making friends. And even if they were, you might want to read "Hold on to Your Kids" by Gordon Neufeld for an alternative perspective on early peer orientation.      
When my 9yo was 6-7, she wrote a long story about unicorns, in print letters. She worked on it a little bit every day for several weeks, if not months. Then she stopped, and haven't showed any interest until very recently. The ideas that I hear all the time, would be writing lists, writing notes to each other, writing letters, and so on. DD was never interested in any of it.   I think for her the issue was perfectionism. She wanted the process of writing to become...
   You could say something like "We're "camping" in this week," if you feel it is warranted. I find that the camping reference puts people at ease as it provides a socially acceptable context for bed sharing.