or Connect

Posts by Grateful

Quote: So give us the hard science and evidence. Not epidemiological studies. Double blind placebo controlled studies. There should be enough unvaccinated children today to be able to match up a control group from within the vaccinated population. For the record: (1) double blind placebo controlled studies are a TYPE of epidemiological study. (2) matching unvaccinated children and with a control group of vaccinated children is neither...
When a coworker of mine had a hb several years ago, I remember her telling us that her midwife would come to the house when she was in labor and examine her before they went to the hospital to make sure she was in active labor and everything was okay. She also mentioned that if things seemed to be going very quickly and smoothly, that they might consider staying at home. Otherwise they'd go to the hospital. Of course, in speaking to her more recently, I now undertand...
I think one of the reasons there aren't more responses might be that there isn't really all that much in the scientific literature about waterbirth (at least comparatively.) Here is one study that looks pretty good. The conclusion is in line with the feelings of women on this thread: Waterbirth is very safe, and despite some theoretical risks, there are very clear benefits.
I was taught in grad school that neither HSV-1 or HSV-2 poses a risk to the baby UNLESS the mother has an active genital outbreak at the time of delivery. Even with an active outbreak, the risk of neonatal herpes is very low, like less than 3%. If the infection is contracted by the mother during the late stages of pregnancy, then the risk is higher, but obviously this won't be the case for you. Some doctors will prescribe anti-virals for women with a history of genital...
Quote: Thanks! How do you gauge what's what though? Contractions that slow down or become less intense, for instance, seems like a variation of normal. As does vaginal bleeding. True. I'm sure this is why some less extreme ruptures can go undetected for a time. Quote: One thing I've heard is that the pain from a tear is constant...not like labor pains which give you a break. So, contractions which start, peak, then let off for a...
I would just keep in mind that the cost/benefit analysis involved in making vaccine decisions is different for someone from Nigeria than it would be for someone from the US. If the family returns to Nigeria to visit (or live), higher disease prevalence might mean the benefits outweigh the risks for her son. Or not. But my point is, vaccine decisions are context-specific, your research does not necessarily apply to your friend's family. But, IMO, there's no harm in bringing...
Hello. I'm not a VBAC mama, but I work in the field. Hope you don’t mind if I chime in. When you talk about scar rupture during VBAC, the concern is typically about the scar on the uterus, rather than the scar on the skin, which is why any bleeding would be internal. If a uterine scar ruptured, a woman might experience vaginal bleeding, but otherwise the bleeding would be internal. Usually the bleeding causes severe pain in the chest or abdomen, but other times ruptures...
In asking such a simple, straightforward question, it sounds like you're just after a basic breakdown of the vaccine issue, eh? Well, no one will do that for you. Not here, not in a doctor's office, not anywhere. I think that's one of the things that makes the issue so frustrating - the polarization. Why might you vaccinate? Well, I'm pretty new to MDC, but I can't imagine it violates the rules to simply say that, so far, the scientific community has not been able to...
I guess the grass is always greener on the other side...
I have gotten to travel outside the States fairly often for work, sometimes for extended periods, and I've lived in Europe for a short time. : So I understand your sentiment. BUT, it strikes me, NoliMum, that what you really dislike is SUBURBAN living. Believe me, I am right there with you! Quote: The consumerism, the suburban sprawl that is slowly infecting every place like cancer, the oppression of every group that isn't White Male, the absence of...