or Connect

Posts by kme

This is the same question I have had for a couple years now.  My son is 7 and has definite SPD, mostly sensory seeking.  Asperger's has come up as a possibility but was eventually ruled out because he did not meet the diagnostic criteria.  More specifically, he doesn't have serious obsessions and is pretty flexible.  However, he is right on the edge of the spectrum and I have pretty much given up wondering "Does he or doesn't he?"  He gets the help he needs at school and...
I will add my voice to the chorus and say that your daughter is adorable!  My son has "something" - have never gotten a definite dx but has been dx with ADHD, SPD, Asperger's depending on which doctor we have been to.  Anyway, he was not nearly this engaging at 3.  He was not able to carry on a conversation like that.  She seemed to have normal eye contact (kind of hard to tell for sure), her voice had inflection, she used gestures, her conversational skills seem pretty...
I am not familiar with the Autism Diagnostic Interview but the ADOS is usually between the child and the interviewer.  They will do structured activities with him, communcate with him,etc and evaulate his ability to maintain a conversation, play skills, etc.  It is supposed to be the gold standard in diagnosing ASD.  Yes, you have filled out a lot of questionaires, probably given them lists of concerns, etc but now it is time for them to observe your child and see where...
A lot of this sounds familiar to me.  I would definitely get him evaluated by a developmental pediatrcian, neuropsych or someone with knowledge of sensory/spectrum issues.  Several of your observations raise red flags for a spectrum diagnosis.  A lot of it sounds very sensory which may or may not go along with a spectrum diagnosis.  Whatever the diagnosis, there are therapies (like OT in particular) that can help.  Good luck!!
Hang in there!  We all go through periods of feeling down or like there is such a long way to go.  I remember when my son was 3 and I was so excited because he came home from school and said "circle time" (his first phrase) and then realizing how far he had to go - that at 3 that was the most he could say.  Not a sentence, not a complete thought, just a scripted phrase.  You have to look at it like every step forward is just that - one step forward.  And with progress...
I will echo what others have said: gymnastics and swimming are both great for sensory input which my son really craves.  He did both when he was younger.  TOPsoccer is a good program as well.  At 7 my son has been able to participate on a regular soccer team and did pretty well.  We started him really young and prepared him well for practices and games.  Since his older brothers are both very athletic, he is interested in sports but has trouble with coordination. ...
By integrated, do you mean there were typical kids in the class?  When my son was in pre-K, there was no integrated preschool - all the kids were special ed.  There are different preschools at different schools and your child goes to the most apporpriate one depending on his/her needs.  For example, my son did not go to our home school b/c that preschool is for medically fragile children.  He went to one with mixed diagnoses, but most had some type of speech delay. ...
Let me echo what others have said and tell you that 2 is hard, espcially for kids on the spectrum.  At 2 my son was nonverbal and the only way he could communicate was to throw a fit.  I felt like I didn't know what to do with him most of the time.  I had a huge sense of failure.  But it will not always be this way.  My son is now 7 and completely different than how he was at 2.  Here's what has helped: 1.  EI - CRITICAL!  It is where he learned to communicate and get...
My son used to "wander" when he was younger.  It happened once at DisneyWorld and once at HersheyPark.  Vigilence is key and we also bought those "Hello, I'm..." type stickers where we wrote down cell phone numbers to call in case he got lost.  We stuck them on the back of his shirt.  We actually did get a phone call at HP.  We didn't put his name on it...my son is verbal and able to communicate well and I didn't want the risk of someone gaining his trust by knowing his...
Oh yeah, I have so been there.  Not with my special needs guy but with my oldest who was subsequently diagnosed with ADHD (I don't consider him special needs, he does very well as he has gotten older.  He is now 12).  It was a playgroup with mostly girls; my son and one other boy were the only boys.  My son was always grabbing, knocking things over, yelling, running around, it was a nightmare.  I could tell the other moms just didn't get it.  I felt like I was always...