or Connect

Posts by Chelsea

Soak the pot with warm water and salt, kosher salt works well. Swish after a few minutes and rinse... - Chelsea
Hi- I attatchment parent, and my children attended Montessori. We have never had a problem, the school my son went to was great about me staying with him while he adjusted, etc. Perhaps you need to look for another Montessori school. Keep in mind anyone can call their school Montessori, plus the over all atmosphere of the school will vary acording to who is running it, etc... Good luck. - Chelsea
Usually, Montessori schools present and study artists, Cezanne, DaVinci, Degas, etc. You can take these artists one at a time, show examples of their work, talk about their lives, how things were when they were children. Most children are fascinated by all of this. This also works well for classical composers. Then the children can try and copy the pictures, or make their own pictures using the style that the artist used. You can really tie art, history, culture,...
I usually find that with some toys on hand, the kids will all entertain themselves when there is a large group like that. You might try having some board games for the older kids. Also, if the older kids are up for it, putting them "in charge" of the little kids helps keep everyone busy. You could have a simple craft activity, paper crowns with stickers to decorate them etc., something most kids can do with little supervision. We have had parties of 30-40 people, with...
We are going through the same thing with almost 5 yo and 2 yo. I think that alot of the lying is because they are into imagination, and inmagined situations are so real to them. In their heads they can make up a story and they really think that is what happened. When I think my son is lying a remind him that we can't make up stories when someone gets hurt, that is called lying, and we have to tell what actually happened to make sure everyone is okay. Also, asking...
We were at my in-laws tonight and FIL told a hilarious story about our son... Saturday night we all went out to dinner and FIL took son to the bathroom. Apparently our son was in a stall when a man in the next stall passed gas. Son said "What was THAT!!" MAn in other stall, and FIL were apparently laughing histerically. The man came out and said, "boy the times I have wanted to ask that same question." We were rolling when FIL told us about it tonight!! -...
I posted a few weeks ago, because my almost 5 year old son was suddenly behaving like a 2 year old. Someone suggested a major developmental leap. I thought about it and realized that he was really trying to learn how to read. I spoke to him about it, asked if he was frustrated about not being able to read, and then promised him that we would do some work everyday to help him learn. I noticed an IMMEDIATE change in behaivor!! I think that he was so overwhelmed by...
I would consider getting his hearing tested. Maybe he can't hear himself well unless he talks loudly. That said, I also think children that age just enjoy being loud. I am constantly asking both my children to lower their volumes.I've heard they get quieter around 5 years. I'm holding out hope. - Chelsea
Just wondering if anyone was using Montessori methods? We just started this year and are always looking for suggestions on making materials, lesson presentations, etc... - Chelsea
I know it has been a few weeks since you posted your question, but I hope this info is still of interest. I attended Montessori schools from the age of 2 until 11. My son has attended since he was 21 months, and we are now using Montessori principles to homeschool. There is a huge amount of information that the Montessori method is based on. I will try to quickly cover some of the basics. Maria Montessori (who was the first woman to receive a M.D. degree in Italy)...