or Connect

Posts by RubyV

Hey, I"m back around. If anyone wants book recs, Ricklef's "Tarot tells the Tale" is great. It's all about using 3 card spreads, and learining to weave them together into a story. He does readings for people like Cinderella, Anna Leonowens, etc. It's great fun, and imparts an important skill.
Absolutely not. I grew up broke, and love to listen to early polyphony. Nothing makes me happier than an Anonymous 4 performance, or a cd of Palistrina. I lived in NYC until 2004, so I went to the Metropolitan museum of art and the Cloisters alot. I love to read gothic lit. Really, I know lots of snobs who wouldn't know a single classical composer or book if you smacked them with it.
Can I just give jem a hug? it sounds like your SO is not very commited to raising him Jewish ie going to services, hebrew school, etc. When my SO and I became pg, he felt that it was very important that our child be raised Jewish. "Alright" I said. "Then we really do it". My stipulations were that we had to go to services, observe holidays, enroll her in hebrew school, etc. I insisted. Pitched a fit when he complained on Saturdays that he wanted to sleep,...
Quote: Originally Posted by hottmama I minored in pan-African studies and I second the book recommendations on here, although I haven't read Medical Apartheid. There's a woman whose name I, of course, cannot remember, who I saw speak once about reproductive rights and black women. She told some horror stories from just a decade ago about women of color on medicaid who were forced into getting norplant and then couldn't get it taken out. Forced...
Oh hell no. You better believe I would be in the office protesting. That is absolutely not ok. (and it's such a craptastic song)
Quote: Originally Posted by Tradd Since I'm a convert to Orthodox Christianity, which in recent centuries has been very tied in with ethnic identity - Russian, Greek, Serbian, etc. - I'm butting the religion/culture issue head-on. In my area, the Orthodox "jurisdictions" with the largest number of churches are the Greeks, the OCA (Orthodox Church in America, Russian heritage but very Americanized) and the Antiochians (tons of converts, mother church in...
Quote: Originally Posted by CMcC Sorry you feel that way. If it makes you feel better, when I did return to God, I did not go back to my childhood church. Nor will I ever. The point of praying for these people is bringing them back to God, not to our specific church. (Of course, we hope they will join us. But the main purpose is they get right with God.) And like I said in a previous post, we don't discuss their situation or know anything about...
SJA isn't available in the states yet. blech. BUT... Martha is going to be on TW next season. Imagine the pretty. Martha and the Captain on screen together. Guh. I love the 9th doctor. My 4yo loves the epi with the empty child. We DVR TW and watch it after she goes to bed.
To the OP, I think it's really complicated. I was raised catholic, but not religious by any stretch. I never felt any connection to the catholic faith whatsoever. I had a very devout pentecostal grandmother who tried to get me to convert as a small child, but christianity was never where I felt at home. I have been a very happy Pagan since I was 12, but after alot (and I do mean alot) of soul searching, I will be joining the rest of my family and making the BIG DIP...
I can't be the only mama here who overdoses on the weekly eyecandy...: