or Connect

Posts by brant31

I was away from the board for a while and was confused when I came back to look for the forum. I agree that Circumcision is a terrible name, because it implies that both views are to be equally validated and there is no presumption of "intact is better".   The name "Anti-circumcision" doesn't sit well with me; I'm pro-intact and don't feel "anti-" anything. It might even imply being anti those parents who chose circumcision, rather than at the act itself. Much prefer...
Welcome, Margie. I can understand your anxiety about this issue, but as a grown man with glanular mild hypospadias I can assure you that there isn't cause for worry.   My parents never discussed the condition with me; I doubt they even noticed. I base this on the fact that when I asked my father about it when I was around 10, he sort of scratched his head and said, "Heck if I know". My folks took me to the family doctor, who just said, "Normal variant. Shouldn't cause...
  Well, yeah, you can. The longer you wear it back, the more the foreskin "shrinks" and will not fully cover the glans again. This is something plenty of men know about. It has to do with elasticity of the preputial sphincter as well as tension the foreskin receives as one grows up. It is absolutely possible to "train" the foreskin to where it simply does not cover the glans anymore on its own, in whole or even in part. And to where it will simply retract behind the glans...
I was around your older son's age when the remaining natural adhesions around the corona finally gave way during my own, um, explorations. The coronal adhesions, in my opinion, are rather different in nature than the synechia between the glans surface and the inner foreskin surface. There were a couple of surprises at the time which I don't know if it's OK to mention here (neither one remotely sexual). But it all worked out well and I still believe I was on a fairly...
You have discovered what so many of us have been pointing out for years: there is no delineated structure called "the foreskin". It's all just penile skin. No dotted line for doctors to cut along, which is why no 2 circumcisions in the world are alike.   Generally speaking, the penile skin that most physicians consider to be the foreskin runs forward from just below the (covered) corona of the glans. In practice, circumcision is not this neat because a certain amount...
Does your son have some epispadias or is this limited to a foreskin shape? Often the two go hand in hand.   I agree with PeterBrown; boys who are at least partially retractable and who have hypospadias or epispadias will normally benefit from gently retracting enough to clear the meatus during micturition. As I've mentioned here before, I have mild hypospadias and it's really not a wise option for me not to retract for emiction (as an adult). I know you don't want to...
  You know I agree with 99% of your posts, but this notion could create some awkward expectations among both young men and women. I won't go into detail, because I want to stick to plain anatomy and avoid any sexual discussion, but about 70% of us remain fully or partially "covered" when not in that state you mentioned. It's normal. But somehow a meme has taken hold and run wild that a healthy penis has a foreskin that automatically retracts upon tumescence. This simple...
As Tennisdude23 points out, the new AAP statement on circumcision is highly nuanced. It is worth reading each line in it 3 times, and reflecting on the various potential meanings. There's an awful lot of spin in there, possibly even a lot of outright deception and dishonesty.   But mostly, it's riddled with contradictions to reach an awkward pre-determined conclusion. I've read through the document numerous times; here's what I have finally come away with:         There,...
  As has been noted here on the board before, doctors are less likely to have their sons circumcised than are parents in the general population. This has been true for many decades. The likely reason is that although doctors wish to "honor" the wishes of all parents, per their medical training they instinctively understand that there is no medical reason to circumcise.
In the same fashion as AAP president Robert Block, with his "AAP Rocks" hands, families and individuals have responded to the just-released 2012 AAP statement on circumcision with their own opinions written on their palms.   Alert: there are a couple of hands on here that some might consider rude/adult in message, so please keep that in mind and use your judgment; otherwise, it's delightfully family-friendly.   The creator of the video encourages many more people...