or Connect

Posts by readermaid

Things my 3yrold DD likes: -Riding her bike -Swimming in the wading pool -Playing in the park -Sidewalk chalk
This article from Book Links magazine might help: Challenging Gifted Readers http://www.ala.org/ala/aboutala/offices/publishing/booklinks/resources/giftedreaders.pdf   It talks about the different ways that books can be challenging, and it has a bibliography of books for all ages.       Has she read Toys Go Out by Emily Jenkins?  There are several titles in the series.  I've read it aloud to my preschooler, and she enjoyed it.  I believe the reading level is...
I read a lot of memoirs.  Here are a few that I liked recently:   Double Take by Kevin Connolly - man who was born without legs travels and takes photos of people staring at him. Atlas of the Human Heart by Ariel Gore - Gore's story of her travels in China and Europe when she was a teenager. I am Nujood by Nujood Ali - Ali was married against her will and sought a divorce despite the odds.  She's about 12 now, I think. To Timbuktu by Casey Scieszka - Travel...
I recently read How to be a Famous Writer Before You're Dead by Ariel Gore, and I found it to be very inspiring.
I have made a similar transition in the past few years, and the advice I would offer is to not put too much pressure on yourself to have answers to these questions right now.  You will find answers that satisfy you, but it will take time.  I personally found the essays in Parenting Beyond Belief to be useful both as a parent and as a person on a spiritual journey exploring non-theism.  I now identify as an atheist, but it took me a while to feel comfortable with that...
I thought of another one: The Color of my Words by Lynn Joseph  
I really liked these:   Becoming Naomi Leon by Pam Munoz Ryan - characters are Mexican-American and take a trip to Mexico.   The Dreamer by Pam Munoz Ryan - fictionalized version of Pablo Neruda's life   Crazy Man by Pamela Porter - set in Saskatchewan, Canada   Shadows of Ghadames by Joelle Stoltz - set in the middle east   Morning Girl by Michael Dorris - historical fiction set among the Taino before the arrival of Columbus    
I read somewhere about one family's tradition of giving kids a new kite every Easter.  I love that idea!
I read Mouse Was Mad by Linda Urban with my little one to talk about ways to deal with anger/frustration.  Maybe it will work for you.
It's hard enough to find books about breastfeeding in general.  I imagine that books about weaning would be even harder to find.  But you may try looking for books about "changes" in general and use that as a way to talk about weaning.  Try looking for books about moving, sleeping in your own bed, etc.   Hope this helps :)