or Connect

Posts by readermaid

I recently read the new Dr. Oz book: YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy by Michael F. Roizen and Mehmet C. Oz, and I was pleasantly surprised by it. Very balanced coverage of vaccines, in particular. I also really love Mindful Motherhood by Cassandra Vieten. I reference my copy all the time. Positive Discipline by Jane Nelson is great. Not to mention Elizabeth Pantley's books.
I got my DD's ears pierced when she was around 4 months old. It's a family thing, and I didn't really give it much thought. It really wasn't a big deal for her. She cried for a minute. We comforted her, and that was that. But, to be honest, I wouldn't do it again. It just didn't feel right once I did it. I don't judge other people's decision on this at all. But if we ever have another girl, she'll be waiting until she's older. Also to the OP, since you said you...
I hate to be a downer because I LOVe being a librarian, but it's a really tough job market in this field. I have an MLS and am currently under employed. Theoretically, you could make decent money and have a flexible schedule as a librarian. If you can find a job, anyway.....
I was raised JW. DH and I left the religion not long after DD was born. The responsibility of teaching our beliefs to a child caused us to look more closely at what we believed. In the end, we decided that we would not be raising our daughter as we had been raised. We are now agnostic/humanist, celebrating holidays, and getting involved in politics/social action. Who would have ever thought?
I left fundamentalist religion just over a year ago (am now agnostic), and it was months before I lost the urge to pray before I fell asleep at night.
I like it! But I actually like old man names for little boys.
DH and I have decided that we want to give experiences rather than stuff this Christmas, but I really don't have too many great ideas. We only buy for the kids in the family, so we have a handful of neices, nephews, and cousins under the age of 4 to buy for. Maybe tickets to a children's museum or zoo? That's all I can think of. Any other ideas out there?
I left DD with my mom for a couple of hours at a time starting at around two weeks. DD took a bottle of expressed milk with no problem, and there were no problems. My mom liked the opportunity to bond with the baby without me around, and I liked the opportunity to get out of the house. But it may depend on the baby. My DD has always been pretty flexible and basically easy. She would go to anyone. As long as someone was holding her, she was happy.
What a great thread! I love stories about how couples met. DH and I met at a music festival I organized in 2002. He was a friend of a friend, and we kept running into each other socially for a couple of years until we really noticed each other and started dating (late 2003). Exactly one year later we were married. Exactly three years later DD was born. December is a big month for us.
I have used the "she won't remember" excuse when it comes to expensive things but I'm probably just cheap. At this age (DD is 2), it's about the little things for us. The local community zoo that costs $2/person rather than the state zoo that costs $15/person. I wouldn't do something like Disney until she was old enough to want to go. As for relatives acknowledging birthdays with calls or gifts... I wouldn't be upset if they didn't, but I've never made a big deal...