or Connect

Posts by mckittre

My kids are too little for academic structure, but they do really seem to like predictable routine. They really like knowing which day of the week is swimming day, hiking day, skiing day, aikido day, that we go camping on the full moons, that they have time in the mornings after breakfast to work on their projects in the house, etc...  It sometimes seems too much to me -- I'd probably err towards looser if I wasn't coordinating other people in many of these activities....
What a fun question!  I'll start with wilderness expeditions: all the navigation, planning, logistics, scrambling, rafting, etc... skills to handle multi-month journeys in remote Alaska. And writing -- I've published two books now (I went to college, and grad school, but never took a writing class past high school).  And public speaking and media interviews (dreaded this all through school, now enjoy it and am pretty good at it). And gardening to produce as much food as...
I'm good for a FB group also.  Easier in many ways.     Starling-- have you done picture books before?  I have a good in with a publisher, but will need to send her my draft very soon (like next week or two) if I want a shot at that, which makes me nervous. I'm used to adult books, where you don't need to send nearly the whole text at first!   Still skiing up here. Amazing to see how the kids have progressed. K is overly cautious and not a natural athlete, but he's so...
SweetSilver -- For me, it was music and athletics I was turned off of by never being remotely good enough to join the school orchestra or any of the sports teams.  I just thought I was a hopeless klutz, but the one physical activity I stuck with was aikido, because it was a setting that encouraged progressing at your own pace, naturally talented or not.  Now that I'm an adult, I have the confidence to learn to ski, and other such things I always assumed I'd be hopeless at....
 Perhaps!  But I think it's easy to go too far on the "personality" end of the explanation, and ignore the important contributions of community and circumstance.  I'm sure the dozen or so 3-6 yr olds I've had in my hiking group don't cover every potential personality type. But I'm also pretty sure that they ALL can't be uniquely gifted hikers (at one time or another I've hiked with every kid in town within the appropriate age range, so it's not a self-selected crew).  I...
healthymomma = you CAN get those little kids walking in the woods (at least the 5yo, the 1yo might still need carrying).  Not to evangelize too much, but I have similar age kids, and have been running a weekly hiking program for little kids for a year and a half now, and they impress me with what they all can do!   miranda = what big steps for your kids.  How much driving around between them will you have to do?   I'm starting to think about spring and gardening here,...
Figuring out how to blend sounds doesn't necessarily mean they're ready, either.  I have a 5 year-old who's been able to blend sounds to sound out short phonetic words for literally two YEARS. And hasn't got any farther than that. He won't try to read more than 2 words together, and gets tripped up by anything that doesn't follow the simple phonetics perfectly.  Which is fine, of course. I haven't pushed him at all, or tried to teach him anything beyond just answering...
Sue - Glad to hear the new addition is settling in well. And 3 kids solo sounds crazy!  We are actually planning to be mostly around this year (no trips longer than a week or two), since I do like being home with the garden and our backyard wilderness too.  I think every other year is best for multi-month expeditions.   Nilla - You can fit!  (says the one from the one room house).  It'll all work out somehow.  That Lego thing sounds weird. I guess I could see getting...
 Not sure, but I know my particular math-loving 5yo can more easily answer "I'm thinking of an odd number, less than ten, that's divisible by three" than he can answer "How can we divide 9 cookies evenly between me, you, and your sister?"  And then he'll tell me to stop doing the cookies thing. In that sort of context, he seems to prefer the pure numbers, and I wonder if the difficulty of that translation means he's missing something important (though he certainly has...
I don't want to hijack this thread, but which of the ideas to explore mathematical concepts might work for an interested 5yo? Because it makes me a little uncomfortable to see my very little kid plowing ahead on arithmetic (in the Miquon books), since I wonder if he might get ahead of his own understanding in some problematic way? He's much more interested in puzzles he can do than in stories or board games (possibly because little sis makes board games hard), can't read,...