or Connect

Posts by mckittre

Everr -- Still thinking of you. How is R doing with your mom's illness?   Sue -- 3.5 weeks is soon!  How exciting!  I'd say we had no winter, but it showed up in force today.  Our weekly Friday kid hike got blizzarded. We didn't make it to the beach, since we couldn't see the road, and didn't want to get the borrowed car stuck. So it was a short walk to the neighbors' instead. Still fun though.   Cindy -- Happy birthday to Junie!  And L is a New Year's baby just like...
Everr -- I'm so sorry to hear about your mom, and hope very much she'll be able to come home again. I can't imagine all you must be going through, it all sounds so hard. Lots of hugs. Is your field very competitive? Fingers crossed you'll get the better job soon.   Mal -- thinking of you too.   Cindy -- hope your mom settles in soon.   K's birthday is on the 14th, but we have no big plans.  We'll have some kids over, some food, and he has some idea that they'll all...
Miranda:  Thanks, that's very helpful.  He does have some of the rods already since I thought he might enjoy playing with them and understands a little bit how to use them (ran over to get them after dinner one night and came back excitedly saying that he'd eaten 9 pieces of sushi, because 3 3s is 9). But I wouldn't have thought about the teachers book.  I suspect my teeny tiny town library will have neither Miquon nor Singapore books to look in, but I will check.  Both me...
Thanks everyone for the thoughts. Glad to know I don't seem like a crazy hothouse mom. :)   Of course we do plenty of math-in-life, and will continue to. Though not really in cooking, since I never use recipes. And only rarely in games, because the 3 yr old wants so desperately to play and usually messes them up. But I swear my son folds origami for at least half his waking at-home hours, and we talk about numbers a lot. The number guessing game Miranda suggested in...
Asking this here because I'm interested in a child-led-learning perspective.   I was never planning to give my kid worksheets. Not when he's learning so much without them. Especially not at his age: not-quite 5 years old. I was sure he wouldn't have the patience to write numbers yet, in any case. But he was recently introduced to "number puzzles" somehow at grandma's, loved them, and wanted me to print more out. So I found a few free puzzles of various types online. ...
You could try something like Project-Based Homeschooling.  That doesn't take any pre-planning because the kid decides what to work on, but "project time" could still be a kind of regular routine.
I asked this question recently for my similar age kid on the main homeschooling forum: http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1394731/suggestions-for-almost-5-year-old-who-likes-math  and I imagine that the ideas will apply to a gifted child as well, with the added option that she can read things herself.   I haven't tried them all yet, but my son loves Miranda's number guessing game. And he LOVES origami right now, which is good fine motor practice as well as geometry and...
Mal - I'm so sorry you didn't have more time with her. How are you (and the rest of the family) holding up?
Everr -  sorry you're feeling down.  I hope you get the job and get a bit more stability from life soon!   Courtney - hope Coraline is done with falling now?   Our Christmas (and L's 3rd birthday on New Years) were good. And they are so big now! Actually, I'm still reeling that my baby is 3, and am not quite ready for K to be 5 yet.  She had chocolate fondue and sushi for her birthday food. Lots of airplane-themed presents for K this year from various relatives,...
Added some cuisenaire rods to the Amazon list for his birthday in Feb (and Miranda, I'll definitely print out that booklet you made -- lots of interesting ideas there).  Also need to get a protractor, since we were having a long discussion today about 90 degree angles and other types of angles, and I couldn't find anything to measure angles with in the house.  Amy, those games sound great, I'll have to try them.  I think he might like the measurement scavenger hunt...