or Connect

Posts by mckittre

Happy birthday Greta!   We had a good Halloween here too. Katmai was an owl (in an awesome costume my MIL made, with a few real feathers he found himself) and Lituya was a thrift store pumpkin. We managed to distribute most of the candy to adults, luckily.  Had a great early birthday party here for my husband last night, big potluck inside, fire outside, lots of new and old families to town, great food and kids running around everywhere. I passed on tips about...
Possibly a dumb question, but what does your time for doing your own projects look like? That's one of my husband's big reservations about the whole idea of not sending the kids to school. We both work from home, part time and flexibly, but currently my kids (3.5 and 1.5) require us to juggle things so they have one parent dedicated to them at all times. This seems only to be expected at their ages, but I was guessing that as they get older, it might change? Can your...
Mal - those pictures need a login from the link, but I saw one you put on FB. Cute.  I'm glad she had such a good time on the trip. I'm sure my kids will be just thrilled to see things like buses when we go to the big city here in a couple weeks. L hasn't ever left Alaska, and K hasn't since he was 1 year old or so.   AFM - still winter here. Actually we've had an incredible stretch of gorgeous sunny clear cold weather. Beautiful light, beautiful frost. It's like we...
What do folks think about rural vs. urban unschooling?   I start doing reading, and when "making your kids part of real life" is brought up, it seems inevitably followed up by lists of things like museums and zoos and classes in anything imaginable. City stuff. But I don't live in a city. I live in a vibrant, wonderful, isolated community of a few hundred people. Community offerings are abundant, but necessarily eclectic. So we might have ukelele and unicycling and...
Starling - That sounds so hard for everyone. I can see how coming to terms with death would be tough for a deep-thinker kid like E.  It's tough for adults! No one K knows has died in his lifetime (except for a couple of sick great grandparents he met once). Glad you're finally getting the camper van. My mom has one, and loves it.   Cindy - Glad the nursing is going so much better this time.   Sue - hope you're all having fun on the trip!   Mal - sounds busy!...
delurking for a moment...  My oldest is just 3.5, and goes to part-time preschool (play-focused). But that will probably be the end of it.   I was captivated by the idea of unschooling as soon as I read about it years ago. And as my kids get older and I see just how much they're learning all the time from life, I really can't imagine sending them to sit all day in school 5 days a week when they turn 5. Both my husband and I value freedom and flexibility highly for...
Happy first (belated) birthday Maeve!   Sibling stuff - For us, K didn't mind L at all until she started crawling and really getting into his stuff. Then they were TERRIBLE for awhile. They've been getting better and better since then as she's more capable of actually playing with him and also obeying rules herself (rather than just being a bundle of adorable destruction). Though he does still often tell us "She's doing the wrong thing! Lituya must go outside and...
Starling - Was that intended as a description of a hard, easy, or average shift? Because it sounds ridiculously intense to me.  Good luck! What kind of anxiety issues does E have?   Cindy - K was asynclitic too. And had the craziest spiral conehead for quite awhile. I didn't need a c-section, but pushing with him did take 3 or 4 hours, I think. Oddly, he nursed fine. I'm glad you're having some success this time around, at least with the lying down.   Everr -...
Starling - Happy birth-day to you and H, and hope the first shift went well. I can't believe how fast these younger kids are growing. L will be two in January, and most people assume she's two now.   Courtney - Thanks! The pizza from the plane is one of my favorite hiking stories, because it's just what anyone who's ever been hiking daydreams of, but seems so clearly impossible.   Sue - days in the woods are so great! I think my biggest regret about sending K to...
Cindy - Aria Rose is a beautiful name. I'm glad things went so well, and hope you get a chance to rest up and enjoy her.   Sue - we had the snow here also. And a couple hard freezes. I pulled my peas, have been piling kelp on the garden, and am slowly putting it to bed for the year, piece by piece.   Mal - that fair sounds like great fun! I've never had a night away from my kids yet (unless you count the night I gave birth to L). It's funny, since my MIL lives...