or Connect

Posts by RootsAndMarigolds

Ive just started by learning vocabulary. My DH isnt the best at teaching the mechanics of the language, though he speaks 4 of them, so i am going to have to learn that here and there. I purchased a nice dictionary to start! Reading about the history of the language, i recall there are many elements in its creation, though i'm by no means an expert in that area. I am pretty good at picking up languages, but being immersed in it is key and we always forget to use swahili...
So, i've used this type of letter before, but for an independent school where it was mostly a formality. I am just nervous that at this school, where we could possibly be the only family who doesn't vacc., that i will be questioned by someone who doesn't even know the laws or anything about it! Are you saying that once a letter is in hand that states religion, they are not allowed to question you? I guess i should be prepared with a letter the first time and every time...
Just considering that we may run into a major problem enrolling our kindergartner for September. Anybody experience problems with the "religious" exemption? We lived in CO where "philosophical" was on the menu, but here in NJ what rights do we have to protect our privacy and what info are they allowed to ask for regarding our "religious" choice to not vaccinate? I am under the impression there cannot be the direct inquiry "what religion do you practice?" but i've heard...
i am just popping in to say that i am so glad to have discovered this thread! as a dready mama of over 10 yrs, i can honestly say that i have no friends anymore with locks.. kinda sad. i am so committed to this way of life with my hair but didnt realize that it would be really nice to have sisters to share this common exp. with. Looking forward to chatting more another time!:
I am all about the homeopathic remedy called SAbadil by Boiron. there is also a homeop. eye drop that they sell in target called Similasin. Those are amazing for us! As for bees products, i think local pollen is usually recommended, and taking it for a while before the season starts. Also, using nettle (comes in capsules or tea) is said to help. I never had allergies until i had my first child and they were really bad for a few years. Now, 8 yrs later, they are bearable...
we are just learning swahili !
wow, blue daisy, that sounds familiar. I have to say that living here in the uS we live in an African American town right down the hill from an upper income mostly white town. The experience is kind of similar and i can imagine how amplified it would be in a country where the income and opportunity gap is huger than we can likely imagine it to be. I do hope that you are right about Arusha being more of international city and more diverse. I guess it sounds like it is, all...
So, while in the hospital i think we checked off two boxes, one for caucasian and one African/ African Amer. Can't be sure exactly what they read, but its funny because even as a "caucasian", my great grandparents (even grands) would not have considered themselves all one category. My dad's Irish family used to call my mom "the Italian girl" and the Germans and Greeks, totally different, but then there is me- all of the above! And i know a few of those relatives would be...
Great info- thanks everybody! Now i can eliminate that worry. As for non-vaxing folks, what do you think about vaccinations when you consider the case of countries where disease like yellow fever, or perhaps polio are still endemic? Does it make you feel differently if you where bringing your babes there? I guess i am grateful to have the luxury of choice here in the US, what about you ?
At risk of being off topic, or whatever, i'm kinda new here, i just have to get in on this conversation. I have yet to visit TZ, though my Dh is from Mwanza, and more recently (9 yrs ago) Arusha. Now we are running a small tour company and once it begins to provide us with a living, we will head to Arusha and buy some land and build a little place. Oooh, sounds like a dream right now! The info on the elevation and the malaria meds is really helpful because i cannot imagine...