or Connect

Posts by RootsAndMarigolds

Thanks BeckyBird for doing some research. This has been an intriguing topic. It has provoked many thoughts and conversations here on what we and other animals eat instinctively vs. our modern diets! My husband who is from East Africa, told me about a place where the Earth is opened to all this red clay and salt where cows spend hours eating it up. Isn't it amazing how the Earth provides for us? HippieChick, as far as finding an African Market, there has to be one in...
When i read the original post and subsequent posts about toxic neighbors, i felt like you had all voiced the issue that's been building up stress in me since June- whenever school let out. That is when my neighbors troubles really started to become my own! The crux of the story: The kids have been getting more and more angry. They have some family issues including the one that their mom has started "hanging out with" our other neighbor who lives with his mom, at 29 yo,...
As far as the idea of pica being an ethnocentric idea: i agree it can be a sign of deficiency, but to classify any craving as pica is kind of like putting things into a box, which is what we often do in the medical culture that we practice here in the US. No offense intended boobs4milk, as its not you who i referred to as being ethnocentric, but the system that classifies things! Who is to say that clay is not food, or that the minerals that are in it are not for...
All over the world it is fairly common for women to eat a type of clay- what ever is local - and it is carefully sifted and shaped into cakes then sold for eating. The whole idea that pica is simply a deficiency rings of ethnocentrism to me. It also overlooks the fact that we are a part of Mama Gaia as is dirt, clay, whatever and sure we could be deficient in that! I had a hard core craving for chalky, powdery stuff like dirt, cornstarch, etc.. during my 3rd preg. but...
Quote: Originally Posted by green_pyxi I haven't been able to attend any national gatherings in few years and would really love to get to NM with my 2 yo DS and 5 mths pregnant. I'm feeling more cautious than I used to especially with what happened last year in Kiddie Village. What have all of you heard about last years events and this coming event in New Mexico? What happened last year?
The "long answer" meaning the child is Kenyan/American or Tennessee hillbilly/Filipino, or whatever sounds like a totally appropriate response. If someone were to ask anything pertaining to the relationship I have with my sons father, how long we've been married, etc.. it would be a different story. Often the "where is he from question" can just be an intro to get into more private aspects of the family's life! Sometimes you can tell the intentions of the one inquiring...
I agree with seriosa about teaching her to "get her to answer directly, so that she can grab hold of her composite identity from the start and then flesh it out as she learns what it means." I always think the best way to deal with issues is to be totally open and supply kids with the facts so they can feel empowered when they face the issue independently. It brings up a topic that stirs my own pot and i've thought of addressing here. My dh is black African so our son...
OK, i left my daughters dad really quick when she was just 1. He had no boundaries and i totally didn't trust him -best decision i ever made. He has no contact with her. After i left he hooked up w lady with a 5yo girl who he was soon bathing with according to the girls dad who tried like hell to get 100% custody b/c ex is such a slime ball, extremely manipulative person! I feel so worried for your dd right now. Its not worth the risk if you have a sense that something is...
wool or tin foil? cool, ill have to try that!
Our kids, 8 5 and 2 are not vaccinated at all and we hope to be traveling to Africa next year. I am concerned about the required yellow fever vacc and recommended malaria pills. Anybody have any personal experience? I personally don't want to inject a funky brew of chemicals and biological creepiness into my own blood either! How have you dealt with this issue??