or Connect

Posts by habitat

Does "natural parenting" mean that mothers should feel obligated to use their bodies in ways that don't feel natural to them at all?
  UGH, the "women in third world countries do it so you can to" guilt trip. Women in the "third world" often don't have an option. Either formula isn't available or it's too expensive. Not to mention that many (not all) of these women are in other sketchy situations like being forced into both marriage and pregnancy. And the babies who are given this breastmilk are often sick for a myriad of other reasons, which I would venture to guess don't exclude the mental/emotional...
My breasts are mine.   As a feminist and doula, I'm concerned that threads/commentary like this don't give mothers (women) of all backgrounds enough credit to choose the best for their children, themselves and their families given their circumstances. I know and respect a number of wonderful mothers who do not nurse. I respect women and I need us to have options. I need us to know that at the end of the day, we make the important choices about what our bodies will do...
Respectfully lilyka, I think your post demonstrates some misunderstandings about eating disorders. I'm sure it was unintentional, but your phrasing came off (to me, not trying to speak for the OP) as a bit dismissive and insensitive.   An eating disorder is a form of OCD. It's obsessive.   It is very common for restrictive diets of all kinds to trigger relapses, because they're perfect for forcing ED sufferers to pay lots of attention to what is/isn't going into their...
Jeesh.   The OP is not blaming women for wanting a natural birth or stating that a C-section is the ideal way to bring a baby into the world. She is not saying that women who have experienced birth trauma should deny that and the opportunity to heal. It seems she's seeking support - assurance that it's okay to be at peace with a birth that wasn't up to "ideal" standards. She cannot redo her birth, and through it she fought to bring her amazing child into this...
Hi, GoBecGo.   Tough stuff.   It really sounds like you're conscience of the circumstances (XP's habits/influence, growth spurt, a social challenge at school, jealousy, etc) that may be at least partially triggering your daughter's behavior. It does seem like she's processing a lot right now and probably needs a little extra help dealing with it all in a balanced way.   In my experience, you can totally address this firmly without punishing or shaming her....
Hi, Mama. Congratubabylations on your new little girl!   With four kids under 6, you have a ginormous plateful! Phew! It does sound like there's just so much to overwhelm the both of you right now.   Remember, four is still very young. He is exploring his world in a way that is very developmentally appropriate, albeit potentially quite frustrating when you're exhausted and juggling as much as you are!   Nellie Katz's post hit the nail on the head, especially...
Hi Amy M.   Do you have outdoor space? If so, I would take them both for a "race" or "crazy dance party" around the space for 15-30 minutes ASAP after lunch, so that they're ready to calm their bodies and find a center. I find that once kids are fueled with food, they're ready to burn it off, and won't settle down until they have an opportunity to do so.   After that, you could try giving everyone their own peaceful space.   Would your 5 year-old be...
TTC, this part of your post is arrogant, disrespectful and shaming. People fall into pregnancy for all kinds of reasons. Birth control fails every day. There is no magic 100% guarantee that someone isn't going to get pregnant. The habit of blaming and shaming women for unplanned pregnancies is absurd. It's a lot like saying women haven no business having sex outside of marriage, which is a blatantly patriarchal point of view. What about poor people? Should they never have...
Hey everyone! I'm getting ready to start TTC in August/September as an SMBC. I inseminated last September to no avail, and things were getting hectic so I decided to wait before trying again. I know it's the right decision for me, but this waiting thing is SO HARD.   I have a known donor who is a really good friend of mine, and I have a lot of support for my pregnancy and beyond.   So excited. Jeesh.