or Connect

Posts by jacie87

Thanks for the responses! I'm glad other moms have tried uppercase first and had it work for them. My thought is that uppercase is less confusing because there is more distinction between letters. I think at this age that bdpq etc could be too confusing in lowercase, but I wasn't sure how well that would work out later if I only taught uppercase first. I don't want to upset her about A and a being the same, because right now she is really excited about the uppercase...
How do you approach/explain this? My daughter is turning three very soon, and she is very interested in reading/writing. I'm taking it very slow and letting her set the pace with this but I'm not sure how to explain that A and a are the same letter. The last time I told her that she got very angry about it. Should I just stick with uppercase for now? How did you explain to your children about uppercase and lowercase? Did you teach them together, or did you teach one set...
It felt amazing, liberating, exciting. I caught my daughter and was completely alone for her birth. DH came in afterward with our other daughter to meet the baby, so I birthed completely unassisted and it was one of the best moments of my life. I was on my knees on a birthing pad in the bathroom, and I basically reached down with both hands and just caught her as she came out. She did bump the birthing pad on her way out but it wasn't a hard bump and she didn't cry at...
I am dealing with something similar...   for me, the solution is to be more proactive. Don't have your mom be the one putting him in his room to cool down. Do it yourself.  Put the tie on him yourself if he is resisting it. If you have any thought that he might be misbehaving, intervene and handle it yourself. The only way to be in charge of the discipline is to actually be in charge of the discipline. I realize this may not be possible 100% of the time, but the more...
I am trying to wean my daughter off cartoons.   I have started by limiting it to one show at 9. I show her the clock and tell her "when it says 9". That worked until she started noticing the 11:09s for example. So I point and emphasize which digit has to say 9.   Anyway, I have found that "no" and "not now" result in tantrums, but if I say "yes, at 9," then she will generally accept that (though she still asks 12 more times)   If it is a boredom tantrum,...
Distraction!   I have found that what works best for me is to set the boundary, and then quickly distract to something else. "Wow, look at this!" or I will just pick up a book and start reading it out loud, or singing, hand her something different to play with, pick her up and nurse her...sometimes nothing works and the tantrum just has to play its course, but a lot of times a young child can be easily distracted and forget what they initially were upset about. With...
My daughter does this too, she will be three in January. We have been spending some time at grandma's house, and grandma likes to yell at everyone for everything, so the habit has gotten worse. Also, grandma has a cat, and the cat hisses a lot, so now my DD is hissing at me like the cat.   It has definitely had me look at the way I am speaking to her, because I know that at least half the problem has been the example I've set. I used to be impatient and talk rudely....
I don't post very often, but I wanted to say a big thank you to everyone contributing to the Gentle Discipline forum. Even though I don't post often, I do stop by to read suggestions now and then that have been given to other mamas. My DD1 is 32 months old, and I used to spank her. When I first came to Mothering.com I ignored this forum, because I thought, "That's ridiculous; spanking is the way to discipline," though deep down I was uncomfortable with it from the...
My daughter is almost 28 months old. She's been attracted to and in love with our piano since about a year old. She likes to "play" her own songs that she makes up as she goes, and she likes to take her story books (particularly Cinderella) and put it up at the piano and pretend she is playing a song from it, while she is singing. I would love to start to do some piano teaching exercises with her to start teaching her some of the notes and how to read music, but I really...
This may not be practical, but maybe you could spend time with her kids for her(really, for them) it sounds like she is frustrated, overwhelmed, and doesn't understand her role as a parent. It is something she needs to learn. Most likely the kids will not be taken away from the family. If you want to help, maybe help the kids directly even if it is only a one time thing. Do something to help them feel love and acceptance. It is amazing how well a child can remember a...