or Connect

Posts by Ktietje85

I found out with #1 and #2 but not with #3.   I have to say I preferred not knowing until birth. :)     With #1 and #2, we knew, so we called the baby by name, and there was less mystery surrounding things.  But laboring to meet a baby I felt connected to but didn't yet "know" was something else, and peeking down and seeing "Oh, it's a boy!" was just an amazing moment, and one I'll never forget.  I didn't just lie there on a table and wait for someone to tell me...
SuzieSmiles -- Mostly what Chapsie said.  To elaborate, the mature milk changes over to the clear/whitish colostrum as pregnancy progresses.  It doesn't have the awesome benefits though until the baby is born, when it very rapidly changes to the "gold" colostrum that contains all the immunities and things the new baby needs.  In the first 2 - 3 days, always nurse the baby first.  After that you'll probably have so much milk you can feed a village...lol.
I would definitely recommend insisting that DH go to a Q&A session with HB midwives before any decisions are made either way.  Mine was like "no way" when I mentioned it with our first (I was about 38 weeks pregnant though!).  With our second he was wary but open to the idea, and we ended up going with it.  Well, he loved it so much he recommends it to everyone and never wants to do it any other way again (barring complications, obviously).  He was so much more involved...
filideluna -- I'm the crazy one...nursing all three of my kids still, ages 4.5, 3, and 11 months.  I have cut the oldest two back to once a day since finding out I'm pregnant and really hoping the oldest weans before baby arrives (she'll be 5) but still nursing the baby on demand.  On the "lots of kids" part, I said I wanted four.  My husband said five.  That was what we "agreed" on.  Our parents thought we were nuts.  Then we had our first baby and enjoyed it so much we...
If you have a history of miscarriage or hormonal sensitivity, you might want to hold off on red raspberry leaf.  Most women, though, can drink it without issue and it can help tone the uterus throughout pregnancy, as well as being nourishing and having a positive effect on morning sickness.  Try mixing with nettle and oatstraw.
We are planning a home birth.  It will be home birth #3.   My first was born in a hospital and even though everything was "fine," I was pushed into a number of unnecessary interventions.  No one supported me and I didn't understand what was happening so I came to the hospital terrified and in pain, making very slow progress.  They immediately started an IV.  Then they pushed having to break my water.  I asked for an epi because I was barely coping without my water...
My first appointment is on Aug. 1, to meet the new midwives.   We had the same two midwives deliver both our boys at home.  The senior midwife's name was Abby, and she had been delivering babies for over 40 years.  She was such an awesome lady and resource!  Sadly, she died last fall, just a few months after our second son was born. :(  The other midwife we had left the practice a month ago.  So we are back to square 1.   We meet two new midwives this time.  I...
Magnesium chloride flakes are good -- I found some at my local health food store.  I use about 1/2 c. in the the foot bath.  You can also mix 1 c. flakes with 1 c. warm water and spray some of this on your skin, if you're likely to be deficient.   I got enough iron in my last pregnancy (first time I wasn't anemic at 28 weeks) by eating lots of grass-fed beef.  In the pregnancy before that, I was anemic, and supplemented with spirulina to get my iron up.  Much easier...
Contractions occur throughout every pregnancy, as our bodies grow and stretch to accommodate a growing baby.  It is very normal in most cases.  I didn't notice any BH until the last few weeks with my first pregnancy, probably last few months in my second, and starting around 16-ish weeks with my third.  I have noticed them constantly this time.  My midwife who delivered my boys said she had such noticeable BH from 6 - 7 weeks with one of her babies she was sure she would...
I felt worst with my third, honestly.  Now, with #4, I feel a lot better, very little sickness at all.  First time I've felt this good.  So what I did differently:   *Took a liquid herbal multivitamin (B vitamin and magnesium deficiencies can lead to sickness) *Take magnesium foot baths 2 - 3x a week *Drink red raspberry leaf tea when I feel I need it (a few times a week) *Eat regular meals *Skip the sugar (at least most of the time) *Take probiotics/drink...