or Connect

Posts by Ktietje85

I'm having my second baby in July and I'm not worried either. I have taken a class this time (at my midwives' office) to learn about natural pain-relief techniques, and I have tried to teach DH what feels good to me so he'll have a clue how to help in labor (I like to sit on the birthing ball and lean over the bed while he puts counter pressure on my lower back, as an example). I didn't do much else to prepare for the birth itself, as in, what will happen. I've done it...
My midwives will not deliver me at home until at least 37 weeks...although now I'm thinking if I did go into labor I would just "forget" to go into the hospital. Oops. I'm 35.5 weeks. I'm sure the baby is over 5 lbs. and would be safer with me than who-knows-what in the hospital. But, I don't think I'm likely to deliver before 37 weeks, DD was born at 39.
Personally I would get a new midwife. If you are not comfortable with her now, you will have trouble relaxing when it comes time for birth, and you don't need that. You can try to talk to her first about how you are feeling, but if she continues to not be very receptive, it might time to find someone else. The OB I saw with DD's birth was like that...she did answer my questions but seemed very rushed and impatient and was rude to her staff. All of these things should...
I am also afraid of these things...I hate Obama's health care plan entirely, and I am very afraid that if it passes that there will be only one "acceptable" means of treatment and it will be traditional. That is, forced screening tests, forced medication, forced vaccination. I have heard that this fall flu shots may be mandatory for ALL because of some language in the Patriot Act combined with the WHO declaring a level 6 pandemic (which happened a couple weeks ago if...
I know I am new here but I thought some of the moms here would appreciate this situation...which makes me so sad. We have learned that DD is allergic to dairy, and now peas/peanuts too. She doesn't have strong reactions but she has behavior issues, stomach aches, diarrhea, night waking, etc. when she eats these foods. Dairy (especially pasteurized) is worse than peas/peanuts. I have always paid super close attention to her diet and reactions so I could pick out what...
Personally, I would share your concerns with him honestly -- that you feel it might be too much on you right away, and that your midwives will be continuing to do newborn care. You could also try to "make a deal" with him. If your midwives feel that, for any reason, the baby needs to be seen, you will bring him in immediately one way or another. But, if they feel confident he is healthy, you would prefer to wait 3 - 4 days until you are feeling a bit better. Of...
Everyone showed up at the hospital the night DD was born...which I did not like. I felt like I needed to be awake and entertain everyone (and by the time we were settled it was after 11 PM). But the next day it was nice to have just our parents there, who held her only when I wanted to sleep or something but otherwise let me have her. My parents came home with us and stayed overnight our first night home, and the next morning went grocery shopping and made us some food...
I plan to spend about the first week in bed this time, which I also did last time. DH will be home the whole first two weeks and will be taking care of DD (who is super attached to daddy lately so it shouldn't be a big deal). The second week I'm sure I'll be up and about some but not a ton, as I'll be trying to heal and conserve my energy. In weeks 3 and 4 my mom is going to come and stay with us (she did last time too). I will probably start getting up and around much...
You can buy an Aquarium pool (really a kiddie pool, but it is strong enough for birthing and has three inflatable rings like BPIAB) for $25 - $30 online. This is what I am doing and I have read positive reviews on it, for birth, and it is available on many waterbirth websites.
The heel stick is best done by a ped. This is simply because babies must have actually had milk and digested a real "meal" before the testing will be accurate (at least for PKU). There is no point in doing it immediately after birth because the results really won't be accurate. Find a ped. that you can trust and take the baby in at 4 - 5 days old and have it done then. The rest of the screening tests are probably not necessary, I don't think, unless you have a family...