or Connect

Posts by Mommax2

Sorry, It's been forever since I've been able to sit and read the board.... To answer the questions first; yes(ish), we think Hannah & Helen are identical. We've never had the genetic test, but same blood type, one placenta, spitting image of each other lead us down that path. The anemia diagnosis was checked with a CBC for Hannah as her finger stick was very low. She was my "nursie" baby, and still is. At the time, she'd rather nurse than eat anything; Helen was at...
Thanks Smilemomma & Toraji! I was thinking about the calcium and iron from a salivary remineralization standpoint.... Today's the day, off to the dentist for composite fillings on the backsides of the two side incisors (second incisors?) on top and a discussion on treating the pinpoint cavity in the front tooth. We haven't been using fluoride toothpaste and we have well water, which may have contributed. No, Hannah isn't averse to having her teeth brushed (any...
Beer works well for slugs (put some in a shallow cup and set it at ground level around the plant perimeter). Sounds like you could have some type of caterpiller which will hide in the mulch/ground during the day and chew at night. Try an all purpose formulation: 1 onion, several garlic cloves, 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper steeped together; strain and add 1 teaspoon dishsoap (not antibacterial!) and 1 teaspoon cooking oil (vegetable oil) along with 2-4 cups of water...
Hi! I posted a while back....twins, one with cavities the other without. Dentist (of course) blame night BF......BS to use another acronym. So I was racking my brain trying to think of what in Hannahs diet was different from Helens. Bingo! When Hannah was 9 mo old, she was anemic and took high doses of oral iron 2xday. I know from my supplements use that iron interferes with calcium absorption and vica versa, so......do you think this might be the reason why the...
Me TOO!! 42 year old mother of twin 27 month old girls (we think MZ, but could be wrong). 37 weeks, vaginal delivery. Hannah weighed in at 5 lbs and Helen at 5 lbs 15 oz (and came out sunny side up). Pretty normal pg, some minor contractions resulting in Terbulatine for 7 weeks and half-days at work for 2 (I was off 2 weeks before their birth). I'm a Community College professor, both were BF (bottle/pump when I went back to work), we still BF (am trying to night wean) and...
Clarity, Here are some links from a google search: http://www.signwithme.com/main_signs.asp http://www.kindersigns.com/index1.html I have only positive things to say about slowing my twins down with the "use your words" statement and getting them to ask for what they want rather than having a fit about it. It's also worked very well when one child has something the other child wants. Rather than just taking the object (as most 2 year olds will do), they're...
Cyndy, Third the signing suggestion! We taught our twins a few signs and it works like a charm to cut out some of the whining. There are a bunch of sites on the web (google, signing for kids), but.... drink - a fist with the thumb extended, make a sippy cup motion toward the mouth. eat - index finger, middle finger and thumb in a pincer touching the lip (like feed me Momma!), subs for hungry done - two hands flat on the table with a small up and down...
Tonight, DH commented that the house was as messy as it could possibly be.... And he just declared "the escalation has begun, there is too much order in this room (our home office)" as they begin to trash the one clean space in the house. And family descends on us starting tommorow.... EEEEEEEEKKKKK!!!!! (Hope they don't mind a messy house, too bad if they do) Karen, Momma of Chaos & Entropy, the 2 kid wrecking crew!
My twins are 25 months and eating solids, but my mother says they definitely don't eat like I did at their age. I was not bf'd, probably started solids at 4 months. Mine started at about 6 months and weren't very interested in fully pulped food for long, especially cereal (the staple) so I ended up making their cereal into bars with fruit and chunking up their food early. I still think they nurse to fill in the holes. We've started trying to night wean; Momma works and...
Avid organic gardeners here... 1. Homemade compost shouldn't smell. Well aerated compost (turned on a reasonable schedule) gets plenty of air. Proper heating (from the sun) is also necessary. If you put in hard to "digest" kitchen scraps (like meat products, fats), they should go in in small doses so they can compost without rotting (and attracting vermin). 2. Compost stays in the bins (note the plural, you need at least 2 for rotation/aeration) until you use it, not...