or Connect

Posts by Ok

We got one for ds right before his 5th birthday. It had a pediatric calibration and a mouthpiece that made it more naturally-sized for kid mouths. We used to talk about taking a deep breath to blow air into the sails of a ship to run away from pirates or something like that. We made it a game, but gave ds a visualization. What really took a week or so for him to get was the hard & fast blow. On an asthma board I used to frequent, there would be conversations about...
A bribe by any other name is an encouragement to do whats right 4-5yos in my house often drop food they used to like and get more self-determined. My current 4.5yo (ASD) is so into the word "no" he'll give it as an answer to any question. Then he'll put a funny look on his face and realize "gee, I actually want to do that" and he'll change his answer to yes. Current 4.5yo has dropped some foods he used to be very good about eating too. I try to think in terms of the...
I like philosophy and philosophical discussions. Metaphysics . Don't like lots of "modern ethics" discussions-- I want real world, not pretend. I enjoy tracing philosophical thinking through time (aka intellectual history). I prefer German philosophers to French. I focused on epistemology and political philosophy. I love reading Plato but tend to agree more with Aristotle, who is boring to read. I like Kant and Hegel. Don't like Foucault. Philosophy is not boring to...
We use a pediatric dental practice. Worth the money for us. Ds (4yo, autistic, apraxic, essentially non-verbal) did great. They have overhead movies w/ head phones, gas, etc. Parents are absolutely allowed back there. I want all my kids to like going to the dentist (unlike me ), not just my sn child. Ped dentists spend a huge part of the ped part of their residency learning to care for the SN population (at least according to our dentist). That training showed through...
I think it will vary by family dynamics. I'm the working parents and dh is the SAHP. The kids actually take much more advantage of him and frustrate him a lot more than me. My personality is more no-nonsense, boundary-setting. Parents should support and help each other with children. For OP: what are your husband's expectations for the behavior of the children? Does he think they are disrespectful? Ultimately he's got to be the one to forge his own relationship...
I had my 4th at 40. That pg was much harder physically (and in some ways emotionally) to recover from. My first 3 were much closer together, 2 yrs apart. Yes, 1 was in diapers when another would come along-- although not for long (other than night time). You could try a 2 year spacing between the first two and then wait 3 yrs for #3 and do a 2 yr gap w/ 3 & 4... that way you'd work in a break, and have pairs. Having been pg and nursing straight for over 7 years, I was...
Quote: Originally Posted by firewoman She said, "Screw the terrible two's. I'm in the middle of the uckin' four's!" :
Quote: Originally Posted by alegna By 4 kids have all sorts of outside influences... I don't know how old your kids are, but around 3.5 dd started "knowing" stuff I hadn't put there Other kids, family members, media, etc all have influence. -Angela O hey, I've got 4 (from 13yo to 4yo) and am well aware of where my kids might have first heard language similar to that. But they wouldn't dream of speaking to me that way. We have a...
45 and don't lie about age. I'm crochety and eccentric-- and you're allowed all that when you're older.