or Connect

Posts by thelocaldialect

My son also wasn't really talking at 19 months. He had maybe one or two words until he was about 2 and then his speech really really took off. He's now almost 3.5 and he talks incessantly.   One thing we realized was that our son's language really took off when we started interacting more with other people and he heard others speaking. For his first year or so DS spent most of his time with us and since he was our first child he just didn't hear people speaking all...
Even if the pediatrician does think it is some sort of behavior thing that doesn't mean you have to listen to him or use any sort of discipline technique he might recommend. I would take him in and get him checked out. It could be stress/anxiety, or it could be something medical, or it could be nothing -- a growth spurt, a phase. Wouldn't you feel better if the doctor ran some tests and ruled out anything serious?   I hope your DS is back to his old self soon!
Here in China we get a LOAD of comments from people all the time about how cute/beautiful/awesome/smart my child must be because he's mixed. He has blonde-ish hair and so people say stuff like "oh he looks just like his mom" when actually, he looks more like DH, he just has lighter hair. People actually comment on his "blue eyes" too, when in fact he has dark brown eyes -- it is clear they're not even really looking at him, they're just seeing what they want to see, a...
My brother and sister in law (who are also Chinese) do this with their children. I don't have parents in law, as my husband's parents are both dead, but I see this as a pattern in his family (and probably lots of Chinese families), the comparison between children.  My nephew is obviously the "star" of the family (meaning he's the one who made it to college, which is a huge accomplishment, he's actually the first one in the immediate family to ever do so) and he and his...
My dad is a little bit like this. I'm white but I live in China. My husband is Chinese and our kids are, of course, half Chinese. Since I've gotten married my dad has gotten sort of obsessed with China. He's become  Buddhist, listens to Chinese music, wants to buy Chinese outfits for my kids, gets China-themed presents for people at Christmas. In a way, it is sort of cute how interested he is, but at the same time it sort of annoys me that he sees China as, I don't know,...
While some parenting "methods" Chua talks about in her article are considered acceptable in traditional Chinese culture (shaming, criticism, name calling, harsh punishment), this woman is not a "Chinese" mother, she's a Chinese-American mother, and she shouldn't fool herself as to just how American her children actually are. For one, they are much more privileged than the average Chinese child. Chua is a Yale professor and both of her parents, while immigrants, came over...
I think the author is making some pretty wild assumptions in her article. I live in China, am married to a Chinese man, and teach Chinese high school students. There are just as many "losers" (as she would put it) here as there are anywhere else.   Yes, there is a cultural attitude here that says it is ok to insult your children, to use physical punishment, to shame, etc. But for every child that thrives under that sort of parenting (and some do, I suppose) there are...
I live in Beijing and Chinese people are really obsessive about keeping their kids out of the elements. Every time I take the kids out in the winter I get comments about how cold it is and how the kids shouldn't be out. Every time. People here are also firm believers in the theory that cold, and especially the wind, can cause colds.   I do tend to avoid going out when it is super cold just because I'm a wimp and I hate it. I grew up in the South so the when it gets...
I'm a native English speaker and speak relatively fluent Mandarin. I studied it for  3 years in college and then for a semester in China, and I moved to China after I graduated and have been living here for 8 years. I didn't become fluent-ish probably until I'd been living in China for about 3 years. I do have a knack for languages and pick them up very quickly in general. I know lots of foreigners living in China who have very good Chinese skills, but I also know...
I did gymnastics until I was about 16 and it is kind of a dangerous sport. When they get up to the higher levels they'll be doing very risky moves. People can get seriously injured or even die doing gymnastics, that's just part of it. That said, all of the coaches I ever had were very very careful about safety, especially for young children and beginners. There's a difference between competitive gymnasts taking risks in order to master high level skills and 4 year olds...