or Connect

Posts by CultivatingMyRoots

Today, I... ~took the girls to storytime at the library ~did all the dishes ~tidied my sewing room ~got COMPLETELY DRESSED, hair, makeup, and clothes that made me feel nice. :) It helped a LOT.    I still have plenty of projects and paperwork, and far too much left from my list from two days ago.... 
Yay!!! For whatever reason this morning I have been super-productive. I only had one kid (their Dad took oldest for a night, and just picked up both and took them off for the night since he didn't get time with them while we were on Christmas vacation), and she played quietly with her new toys and the dog all morning.    This morning, I.... ~made breakfast for bf and dd ~cleaned girls room ~made my bed ~cleaned kitchen ~read from my new-to-me kindle ~paid...
I tried reading through to get to the end of the last thread, and got dizzy! It was so fantastic to see everybody motivating each other, and I love how easy things become when they are broken into 'chunks.'   Here are my sessions, I am kid-free while they are at their dad's, and trying to get motivated!   ~Dishes ~Unpacking/Putting away clothes from vacation ~Sewing room reorganize ~Sewing project started   Thank you all so much for the inspiration!
2012 is year of the dragon, which is the Chinese calendar I was born in. By the power of suggestion, I am trying to make this a FANTASTICALLY SUPER CHARGED YEAR. I am trying to use MDC to keep me motivated and accountable, as well as realistic. I love hearing about everyone else's journeys.    My plan to purge this year is to USE up all of the miscellaneous craft stuff I have. I already purged half of my papercraft (gave to a friend as a pseudo xmas present), and...
Toddler is still not asleep. I got rid of a stack of paperwork(and filled out what I needed to) as well as responded to emails. Now... ~piling things in Salvation Army pile! ~Cleaning kitchen ~Sorting through the piles on my sewing center
http://www.marcandangel.com/2010/11/15/12-dozen-places-to-self-educate-yourself-online/   http://www.ztcollege.com/ (new, but looks promising!)   http://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Wikiversity:Main_Page   I found these on the unjobbing thread, and wanted to share!! I am so excited for all these new materials; for myself and my kids. 
I haven't posted on MDC in AGES, because I have been working my tush off getting my house/life/finances in order.    I have succeeded! However, tonight the four year old wouldn't sleep (is in fact reading loudly still) and I have cleaning, purging, and paperwork to do before I can get down to $$ work tomorrow morning (when the kids are at preschool and then with their Dad).    In order to actually be able to work tomorrow I'm going to go do 15 minute sprints...
Does anyone do this? I guess it seems sort of a weird question, because we are working and learning every day, but does anyone ACTIVELY educate themselves as much as possible, outside of a college/university setting? I ask because I have been reading e-books and textbooks voraciously lately, and I realized that I crave just as much input and stimulation as my children do. If you do 'unschool' or educate yourself, what is your routine/plan/outlook on it? How do you fit...
My personal beliefs on unschooling are ALL about doing what is the most positive and enriching for yourself and your child, and if she likes the ISP program, who gives if it makes someone else feel smug? The important thing is that your daughter is happy. I totally get not wanting to feel like you've gotten 'lazy' or 'copped out' on what you believe, I put my three year old in a montessori preschool and had the same issues and hangups, but two and a half months later I see...
Alright. So, I am SERIOUSLY considering this off-grid plan. I have a few questions/concerns, though, and I'm hoping some of you mamas that are farther down the off-grid path can help. 1) How much does winter suck if you don't have electricity? 2) What things did you not expect before you lived off-grid that are now part of your life? 3) Piped in running water may be last on the plan to install, (composting toilet being firstish) am I signing myself up for a world of...