or Connect

Posts by labdogs42

Well, I can kind of understand where you are coming from.  I had a similar terror around bringing a child into my own family.  It was more because of my crazy family dynamics (my parents are divorced and I was raised by my grandparents), than about my DH's.  I was rather terrified about bringing a child into my crazy family, but my DH and I discussed it and realized that we wouldn't let anything bad happen to our child.  If family couldn't act appropriately, then they...
I'm reading this book right now and so far, I'm enjoying it.  I have been skipping to the chapters that interest me, though, so maybe I've missed the "worker bee" parts!  I also skipped the sibling chapter because I have an only child.  Maybe try jumping around in the chapters and maybe you'll find some more useful nuggets in there.  I really think this is a great book!
I have a gifted son, age 6 (well, we haven't had him tested yet, but all signs point to gifted at this point).  He's very sensitive and a worrier.  I tried not to say anything about the earthquake and tsunami in Japan in front of him, but he heard about it somewhere and is asking about it now.  He's even going so far as to worry about which floor he'd be safer on in his school if the building was going to collapse (his decision -- better to be on the seoncd floor so you...
That is not cool. I think I'd be blocking her and also introducing her to Flickr or iSptockphoto for her generic photo needs!
Wow, I never realized that a diagnosis could make such a difference in other parts of the world.  It seems like here in the US, the diagnosis is a good thing because it opens up the world of special services, IEP's etc.  It sounds like it is very different where you are.  It is good that you are educating yourself on the best way to get what you need for your child.  How sad that even giftedness is considered a "problem" where you are.  Good luck with your journey.  I...
There might be some helpful information in this article: http://www.kellymom.com/parenting/velcrochild.html
I had this dilemma this year, too!  We went with one present in the morning, treats to school for snack, then special dinner at home that night with cake and presents.  Party for friends and extended family the nxt weekend.  Worked great! 
I'll be the opposite odd woman out.  We have an only child and we plan to keep it that way.  He's six now and we just love having one.  It feels right for us.  Take your time and hopefully you'll reach a point where you "know" what feels right for you. 
My DS was like that, too.  One of the things I would do before we had anyone over to play was to ask him if there were any toys he would like to put away before the friend came over.  If something was too "special" or too new to share, he was allowed to put it away.  Anything else was fair game for the friend to play with and he knew that ahead of time.  If he got upset about the friend playing with something, I would remind him that he chose to leave that toy out and...
My son is six and he does the same things.  Saying "I'm stupid" or beating himself up over the tiniest mistakes.  I know this is a quality of giftedness, but it can be really emotionally exhausting on me as a parent!  I surely don't want my child to rake himself over the coals like this all the time!  I'll share what seems to be working for us.  One thing I do is insist that he is in no way "stupid".  He may be struggling with something or frustrated, but he isn't stupid...