or Connect

Posts by Dreaming

Quote: Originally Posted by tanyam926 That stinks, but I had to laugh bc it reminded me of my dh a few wks ago. Our grill cover was missing, but our bbq grill and everything else on the patio was still there. My dh was (and still is) convinced that someone stole it, even after I pointed out that we had a couple of really windy days and it probably blew away. He said no way, not possible, he just knows someone came onto our patio and took our dirty...
I'd check Etsy for sure. They have everything and if they do not, you can put in an Alchemy request to have someone make it for you.
rumi- It only worked out because I gave up on the idea for now. I'm just focusing on making a schedule/rhythm for myself and not worrying about what my kids are doing when. DD has recently taught herself how to swim with no lessons to speak of. She is always working on things and I'm doing my best to just trust her. Since Texas doesn't require documentation, I am just providing my kids with as many resources as possible and getting out of the way. I think what I will...
Another possibility is Etsy. You can set up a shop and your daughter can create whatever she wants to sell. She does not have to sell arts or crafts, either. She can also sell supplies. There is a demand for recycled and upcycled items. I've seen a lot of shops run by young kids. A participating adult is required to sign up for and watch over the shop, but otherwise your DD is free to post whatever. I have an Etsy shop and am in the process of opening a second one. I'm...
I would keep the married name so you have the same name as your children. Plus, changing all of your crap (license, credit cards, social security, etc etc) is a giant PITA. I only say this because I've had 2 name changes since age 22 and I hate having to keep up with it all. Getting my last driver's license, I had to show up with a huge paper trail.
Piglet- Thanks! That's a really good idea. I've been pondering the 1:1 time so that my kids aren't trying to stay up super late to get it (stay up later than your sibling and get parents all to yourself). My DS loves video games and they've helped him a lot in ways I never conceived, so that's always cool. Okay, I really love video games also, and have been a big gamer for almost 30 years now. DD is even getting motivated to learn to read more words so that she can...
I remembered this thread and decided to come and post because my newly 6 year old DD has just taught herself to swim also. She's never been to swim lessons, but we have a neighborhood pool and we go a few times a week. Tonight, she showed me that she cam swim underwater for many feet and she almost has floating on her back down as well! I'm just thrilled. Kids are really amazing.
Well, this thread has really gotten me thinking about our approach to schooling. I'm reading more about unschooling, and starting to get a clearer picture. DD found my copy of Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World, and she told me that she wants to learn how to make cupcakes, so that's what we'll be doing until she finds something else she's interested in. I'll continue to take cues from her and DS and just chill out a bit. They are only 4 and 6. I'm an attentive parent. As...
I'd stay out of it. Weed doesn't concern me. Plus, like other posters mentioned, if they are really growing, they are not being very smart about it and it's likely the police have already been informed.
Unfortunately, a lot of people seem very interested in the fact that we are homeschooling. Since our model appears to be unschooling at this juncture (I say "eclectic" when explaining it to someone because I'm not a fan of pigeonholing), it recently occurred to me that I feel the need to prove we are educating the kids. The idea of a "concerned parent" reporting us to whomever (even if in Texas I'm not required to record anything) makes me twitchy. What I think I...