or Connect

Posts by Dreaming

I've been counting meltdowns since I started this thread. Today he had about 3 small ones (mostly because of brother/sister battles) and one huge one. I took him into my room during the huge one to give him some space and quiet and he fell asleep and took a nearly 3 hour nap (I napped too ). He woke up with a low grade temp, so that probably had a lot to do with it. I really think he was freaking out a bit due to our move and our visitors. We hadn't traveled much until...
My vote is for a hat as well. Much easier to change than hair color (and on the fly) and he's got sun protection to boot.
You're all awesome. Thank you! I love all the book recommendations and I'll definitely see if the library has them. I call his fussing "tantrums" for lack of a better word. There is often yelling even if it doesn't last long, but it's not a full blown meltdown at all. It's just obnoxious and frustrating at times to deal with. He is intense and certainly has perfectionist tendencies. He practiced winking with both eyes before he showed me one day he could do it. I...
Thanks ladies. Eclipse- I thought so as well, but my friends were convinced he's broken. No biggie. I do know DS and he'll be just fine. I think I needed to post this thread to really ponder the situation and get some feedback because I was frustrated. Well, I kept an ear out for any freak outs today and there were 2 minor things that barely registered and then a total meltdown around dinner time. Screaming, kicking, refusing to use the potty, demanding cake, crying...
Quote: Originally Posted by To-Fu We do the smoothie trick, too. I sometimes add almond butter and vitamin powder. Oh! You just reminded me. Raw nuts, coconut butter and Udo's 3-6-9 are all things I add as well (just not daily except the Udo's). I bet there are tons of things to add. Smoothies are awesome.
Thanks! I think 12 is a bit high even for him, but I'm honestly not keeping track. I'm just trying to be fair since I know my friend would say he fusses more than 6 times a day. I was thinking more along the lines of him freaking out because we are getting in the car (2 minutes of whining/fussing/being annoying) then another minute once we got into the store because he wants to ride in the back of the cart and not the seat and another fuss because we have to buckle into...
My DS has some sensory issues and is very very picky about food. He won't eat a "regular" meal at all now. He'll only eat crackers (and most snack type things like Luna bars or Pirate Booty), yogurt, applesauce, craisins, waffles, French toast and bananas. To fill in the gaps, I make him smoothies. A typical smoothie gets: blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, mango, peaches, blackberries (all frozen), banana, yogurt, kale or spinach or some other leafy greens, green...
Thanks and good point on the sugar. My kids don't do well on it, either. I'm going to check out that book. DS is pretty intense at times (as is DD). Not that I count, but he could even have over a dozen freak outs in a day (big ones). It's honestly just something I've gotten used to and know he'll grow out of, so I don't keep track like someone who is accustomed to peace and quiet.
My best friend is not a mom yet (soon), but she has worked with kids as a traveling teacher of sorts. Her and her DH visited recently and she observed DS having multiple meltdowns for various reasons at least a half dozen times a day (during transitions and etc). I told her that his behavior is well within the range of normal and she said that his behavior was definitely NOT normal and she knows because she's dealt with so many kids (vs my experience only dealing with my...
I hate them, too. Having a basement is a big help for sure. At least you know you are as safe as you can get under the circumstances. We just moved where no one has a basement due to bedrock. Gah.