or Connect

Posts by Heidi74

My 3.5 year-old goes to bed around 6:30 (can be as early as 6:00 if we notice that he is really tired), and typically falls asleep almost as soon as his head hits the pillow. He gave up his nap a year ago, and we discovered that a super-early bedtime was the only way to make up for the lack of napping. If he is in bed by 6:30, he typically sleeps until 7:00-7:30 or so the next morning, but if he goes to bed later he will also wake up earlier and become overtired. If he...
My father was recently diagnosed with ADPKD: Polycystic Kidney Disease. This disease often is not diagnosed until mid to late adulthood, and I don't know whether or not I have it. I keep going back and forth on whether or not to be tested...but I think that as long as there is no existing treatment for the disease, and as long as I don't have any symptoms, I would prefer to not know. I will ask my doctor to monitor my blood pressure (which has always been fine), but...
DS1 will be doing Pre-K next year, so I'm home-preschooling for now...with plans to homeschool in the long run. He will turn four during the summer. Currently, we are doing P 3/4 from Sonlight and are absolutely loving it! We will have read through every story in the core at least three times (some far more often) at that point, and I feel like I want to add on something more in the fall.   I am thinking about getting P 4/5, which would be the next logical step, but...
In a few weeks, I will be taking a transatlantic flight (on Continental), with my two boys - aged 3 1/2 and 1 1/2. I will be flying alone with them, so am trying to figure out the logistics. I have flown alone with them both one time previously, and it actually went better than I expected. I am still dreading this, though...especially now that my younger one is at such a wiggly age.   We have two carseats-a Boulevard and a Radian, and I will be bringing one of them...
We are literally in the exact same situation as you (preschool at three being the norm where we live, not being able to afford it), and are testing the waters with Sonlight. I am currently doing P3/4 with my three-year-old. We started right after he turned three. So far, I am very happy with Sonlight.   A previous poster mentioned that you could just check out the books at the library. I would say that yes, if you absolutely cannot afford the program, it is possible...
I haven't read the whole thread-just parts of it, but enough to know that I'm very glad I found it. I'll go back and read more in detail later. I have two boys, ages 3 and 15 months. We started out the school year without any curriculum, but with various activities three times a week. We go to a parent/child early childhood program (preschool-like) one day, a playgroup in my language on another, and finally, DS1 is enrolled in a drop-off gymnastics class. Lately,...
ITA that nighttime dryness could be a whole nother (interesting) thread. DS1, who we did not do EC with, started staying dry at night around 2 1/2, but still woke up with a wet diaper occasionally (like, maybe twice a month) until a little before 3. DS2, however (whom we got serious about EC with at 7 months-occasional before then), has been more or less dry at night since he was 9 months old. This, despite nursing several times at night. He sometimes does want me to...
DS1: Started around 20 months (lots of nekkie time, open-door bathroom policy, showing him the potty when he peed.) I think he was 23 months when something "clicked," and he was staying reliably dry (with reminders every few hours) by 25 months. He was wearing underwear full-time during the day at that point, but still using his nighttime diaper to poop in, or asking for a diaper when he needed to poop. I think he was about 2 1/2 when he started pooping in the potty, and...
He discreetly pees in a paper cup (I just unzip his pants and lower them a little bit, and his back is turned to others), and then I pour the pee down a drain, over the fence, or on a tree, depending on the location. The used cup goes in the garbage, and noone's the wiser. This trick obviously wouldn't work for girls, but for boys it really comes in handy.
I totally need this thread! Great idea. I need to take some time to get myself ready in the morning, instead of just throwing something on after showering, and then running a brush through my hair two minutes before we step out the door. A lot of new clothes aren't in our budget right now, but I could get much better at accessorizing a bit and actually planning what I will wear the next day. Often, I just throw on a pair of jeans and a shirt and don't even bother to...