or Connect

Posts by Heidi74

OK, here goes: 6:00 Nursed DS2 in bed, hoping he'd go back to sleep 6:15 Both DS's (3 yo and 14 mos)were up for the day. Took DS2 to the potty and out to the living room. DH kindly suggested I go back to bed for a while, since DS2 woke up a lot the night before. 7:15 Up for the day. Showered with DS2 while DS1 listened to an audiobook. Had breakfast, pottied DS2 (DS1 takes care of his own pottying needs, so it doesn't involve much work on my part), Coffee 8:00...
Quote: Originally Posted by •Adorkable• Yeah that idea of letting the babies get out of the cramped looking position of a bucket is one reason I like the basinets and I do plan on walking around a lot. We have just moved to DC and have a lot to explore, my DH is also a big walking fan. We're in the New York area, and here I've been really glad we used a bassinet. That said, we did also have an infant bucket that we used in the car and when he...
We've used bassinets for both our kids until about 6 months of age, when they've started sitting upright in the stroller. (That said, we babywear a lot, so they were often worn while awake, and then transitioned to the bassinet when asleep.) I am from a Scandinavian country (married to an American and live in the US now), and in Northern Europe (Scandinavia and Germany come to mind) they warn against using car seats out of the car. Pressure on baby's back, potential...
DS1 turned 3 in August and no, we're not doing preschool this year. I think he would enjoy it, but the main issue is $$$. Preschool is extremely expensive where we live, even for just a few mornings per week. We will probably do some type of preschool next year, though possibly pre-K if he gets in. During the week, we go to two different playgroups that are preschool-like in their setup. One is a two-hour preschool alternative program, the other is a three hour program...
I have just decided not to take on a part time job, after considering it seriously for a few days. I was offered a job teaching a language course for adults. I am a teacher by profession, so it's not totally out of my field. It would have been a two hour class, and I could have taught on Saturdays, while DH watched the kids. The problem is that I would have been facing an hour-long commute each way, along with a 13 dollar train ticket. Plus I would want to be there...
I agree with the PP. One thing that also came to mind when I read your post is that you might want to consider trainers instead of diapers, at least for at-home daytime use. The trainers stocked by stores that sell EC gear will hold one pee, and they take less space in the laundry than fitted diapers do. After we started doing EC, I realized that I was putting so many barely wet fitted diapers in the wash, and I really could reduce my washload by using trainers. Just...
Quote: Originally Posted by voca Second question: this morning I put her in the tub after sitting on the potty and let her pee there because it was easier to clean up. My husband expressed some worry that is would just teach her to pee in the bath and make things worse. Is this a potential problem? I don't have much time right now, but have a suggestion for your second question. If you put the potty in the bathtub and run a little warm water...
I'm hoping some of you wise mamas on the Family Safety forum can give me some input here, because I'm not sure how to figure out carseat logistics for our family. We have two kids-DS1 is turning three next week, and DS2 is 12 months old. DS1 is small for his age, and weighs 31 lbs. DS2, on the other hand, is in the 99th percentile, and weighs 28 lbs. We live in the US, but spend a lot of time in Scandinavia, as that is where I am originally from. In the US, DS1 has...
Quote: Originally Posted by HappyMommy2 What does your child love? Bring that. I saw a mom entertain a baby for an hour by letting her rip pages out of a magazine. The baby was laughing hysterically! Whatever works!! The inflight magazines usually take a beating when our family is flying. I don't worry too much about it, because it's a minor point on a transatlantic flight...if it comes to putting up with a screaming baby or sacrificing an...
I also agree with the previous posters. Just wanted to add that if you do want to go bike riding with the family in her first year (and are willing to spend some money), they do sell bike trailers where you can buy special infant seat attachments, so that the infant reclines. It's really kind of like pulling a wide stroller/carriage behind the bicycle. (Some types actually have attachments that also can turn them into strollers. You see them a lot in Europe.)Those cost...