or Connect

Posts by Heidi74

I take my 18 month DS to an early childhood program, where they actually do quite a few crafts. It's only in the last few months that he's taken interest though...most of it seemed to be beyond him at 14 months. Everything they do craftwise falls within two categories: painting and gluing. Painting: -Either fingerpainting, or painting with brushes. They use different colored paper as backgrounds, and usually two colors. Sometimes, the teachers mix glitter with the...
Sometimes, these days, I feel like I fit in neither in the professional world nor with other SAHMs. While I respect and admire those who choose to stay home with their children permanently, that's just not me. I had a career that I loved prior to having kids, and had just finished my masters degree prior to having my first. While I sometimes ache to go back to work, I wouldn't trade the life that I have right now for a career. The difference I sense sometimes though, when...
I would definitely not be OK with that situation! On Saturdays, DH and I switch roles. I am taking a few grad school classes part time, and Saturday is my big study day. I sit in the office and write/work on assignments most of the day, and he takes care of DS, does the dishes, and runs errands. They usually spend Saturday morning at an early childhood program, and then do errands together after DS's nap. Basically, Saturday is the day where I can take off the SAHM hat...
I'm enjoying reading the variety of responses. Compared to most, we do a lot, but I have a truly social little guy who seems to enjoy being around other people...adults or kids. I take DS (17 mos) to an early childhood program three times a week, for about three hours at a time. It's a nursery-school type setting where a parent stays with the child. He is so excited when we arrive and can't wait to start playing. He's too young to really play WITH the other kids, but...
Before he was mobile, he would have nakey-time on a mat on the bathroom floor (it's heated.) From about the time he started pulling up on things until now (17 months) he has been in his crib while I take a shower. I leave the door open, and give him a bunch of board books to leaf through in his crib. When he was younger, I had some fun toys I would put in the crib with him...and I made sure the shower was a fast one. Not sure what I'll do when he's a bit older and can...
I don't plan to be a SAHM permanently, but I do want to be home with our kids while they're tiny (ie. under the age of three.) When our youngest starts preschool, I plan to go back to work. Unless we have more kids, that will mean that I will have had a total of five years at home...so not a huge setback in my teaching career. I have an MA in Literacy, and my Teaching Certification is current, plus I'm keeping up on my professional memberships, so I should be employable in...
My 17 month old also eats almost anything. Not sure if there is a connection, but we did Baby Led Weaning with him (ie. dropped the puree/mush stage and went straight to placing food in front of him) and he has been encouraged to eat independently from the very beginning (6 months old.) I have never cooked anything special for him--though in the very beginning (6-9 months old) I adapted the family meals so that there was always a few types of soft foods he could eat, and I...