or Connect

Posts by Heidi74

DS1 pulled himself up at 7 months, cruised at 8, took his first few steps at 14 months (and then went back to crawling for about a month), and then finally started really walking at 15 months. DS2 is 8 1/2 months now, and has not yet started pulling himself up or cruising. He does crawl well, though. I would guess that there is a wide range of normal here...
We did BLW with DS1, who is now 2 1/2, and are currently doing it again with DS2, who is 8 months. With both, we started right at 6 months. We haven't done purees or mush with either of them. They have self-fed from the start. I love BLW. It is so much fun, and the kids really get to explore so many different foods. I don't know if BLW is the only factor here, or if I just lucked out, but DS1 is not a picky toddler at all. He will try pretty much anything, and only has...
Diaper sprayers for cloth diapering are wonderful for this purpose. We have the one from Bum Genius, and you can adjust the spray so it is just perfect for spraying out a potty. We spray the contents into the toilet and give the potty a rinse with it. If it was just pee, we then just give it a quick rinse in the sink after emptying. If there was poop, we spray it with Lysol after the initial diaper-sprayer rinse, then rinse again with hot water. Another idea (that I...
Double strollers are tough, aren't they. I'm afraid I can't help you with tandem strollers, but if you ever change your mind and want a side-by-side, we really like our Mountain Buggy. It's big and bulky, but surprisingly maneuverable and easy to push. We had a Phil and Teds Sport for the first 6 months, but ended up selling it. I just never made friends with it, I guess. It's a good stroller, and you might like it, but it also has some downsides. It can be heavy to...
We switched at 6 months. It was the middle of winter, and I felt he was better protected from the weather when lying in his little sheepskin-nest and bunting-bag in the infant position. That said, I usually carried him when he was awake, but he usually didn't mind lying there and looking up at me either. Since he slept so much there, that was yet another reason for leaving him in the infant position...he got to lie flat while sleeping.
Hmm...let's see: wool clothes (onesies, leggings, outerwear) since my kids pretty much use them exclusively during the fall and winter, and you can never get enough wool if you live in a cold climate. DVDs and books given as a gift for the baby, but really intended for immediate use by older sibling. Food. Certain baby toys. A lambskin. Accessories for our double stroller. I really appreciated when people took the time to ask what baby clothes we needed, and in what sizes.
Like others, we have a very loose schedule. He wakes up, goes down for nap and goes to bed at roughly the same time every day. We usually have some sort of activity that takes us out of the house--either before or after nap. Mondays and Thursdays it's an early childhood program, Fridays we stay home and clean the house (except for a short playtime outside), and Tuesdays and Wednesdays we go to the playground. I also work in a minimum of 30 minutes of outdoor time every...
It varies a lot, but I think the average is probably somewhere between 2 and 3 hours for us too. He enjoys playing on the floor with his brother, sleeps 3 or 4 hours total for naps, and also spends quite a bit of time in the stroller when we're out for walks. (Since my baby enjoys being in the stroller, I tend to wear his older brother on my back when we're outside...to get some toddlerwearing time with him. I carry the baby so much when doing chores indoors.) I feel like...
Will she nap in the stroller? I've started loading both kids up in the double stroller at noon every day and taking a walk. It's the only guaranteed way to get my 2.5 year old to nap, the 7 month old gets some fresh air, and I get some exercise. I'm actually thinking about incorporating a daily jog into my routine during this time and making it my exercise time. (Although I don't think I can start jogging until he is actually asleep.) Anywhere but the stroller or car...
I am so glad to see this thread! DS is 2.5, and still loves his paci. He would gladly walk around with it all day, but I currently limit it to naps and nighttime. He used to get it during long car and stroller rides too, but we're trying to gently wean him off that. I too have been thinking about whether to help wean him off it, or just let him have it at nap and bedtime for as long as he wants. He will be three this summer, and we'll be in my home country at the time....