or Connect

Posts by Heidi74

Quote: Originally Posted by BlueWolf Thank you so much for that link. It really gave me hope! Where did you get your short-shorn lambskin? You know, I actually forget where I got them (we have two), since we've had them for a couple of years now. I did a quick search, though, and these sites came up: Here's one that's specifically made for a stroller (even though they also have regular ones that you can cut holes...
Quote: Originally Posted by mkksmom I do stroller naps. If she wakes too early, then I walk her around some more. I do this too. I put a short-shorn lambskin (specifically made for babies to sleep on, so it hasn't been treated with chemicals), in the fully-reclining stroller, with holes cut through for the straps, and both my kids sleep there for naps. In fact, it's the only guaranteed place to get my two and a half year old to nap. With the...
Quote: Originally Posted by PlayaMama this is really important!!! one of the major signs of congenital heart defects is rapid breathing that is not related to the lungs. please please please take her to your ped or back to the er and have them check out her heart. This was what they were most worried about when my son was a newborn too. Everyone (parents, friends, even our health visitor) was telling us it was nothing to worry about...
I would definitely time her breathing at different times (time for a full minute) and if it is higher than 60, contact your ped about it just to make sure. When my first DS was a newborn, he was breathing at between 65 and 90 breaths per minute (!) and when we took him to our pediatrician, we were immediately admitted to the hospital. They monitored him for two days, and did all kinds of tests, one of which showed that he had slightly stiff lungs and a reduced lung...
Quote: Originally Posted by mommy2two babes I had a daycare Mom not so nicley ask me why I was going through so many wipes and told me not to wipe him unless he pooped. Well, this is probably really gross, but I actually don't always use baby wipes when they've just peed...unless the diaper is really, really wet, which it usually isn't. If we're home I will use a cloth wipe, but out and about-nah. Mostly because of all the gunk that's in the...
Like others have said, IKEA and Haba have nice, wooden ones. If you are looking for something more like the standard activity gyms (mat with arches), I'd recommend the one from Skip Hop. We have it, and DS (7 mos) has loved it for the past four months or so. It is less "busy" than the other ones, doesn't have lights, and is very entertaining. The mat is made of an all-cotton fabric, though the fabric on the arches seems to be a little more nylon'y. (Not sure about that,...
I walk everywhere because I take public transportation to get to places, but I realize that doesn't work for everybody. Pushing a double stroller up a great big hill from our local train station, especially if it's through an inch or two of snow, is great exercise! All in all, I probably walk somewhere between forty minutes and two hours every day. We do live in a cold climate, but have really great winter gear and a stroller that's suited for trudging through the...
It's tough with the second one, isn't it? I agree with the PP that for this limited time it's fine to rely on some good DVDs. Read, read, read, read. Have DH go out and get stickers and art supplies if your LO likes that. Board games, maybe? Basically anything that will occupy your older child for a while. (My DS who is 2.5 loves bubble wrap these days...he will sit for half an hour or so just popping the bubbles if given the opportunity!) If you are not up to going...
I don't have time to write much right now, but I can say that with both my kids I've felt the same way until I could put them on my back. Once I could wear them on my back, life got a lot easier. DS2 (7 mos) spends a good part of his day on my back, and when he's content to lie on the floor and play with toys he does. Trying to get things done with a baby on your front is not easy.
Ours goes into savings, but things like clothes, haircuts etc. are something we get when we need them. We try to keep our spending to a minimum, but those are regular expenses. Now, if there was something big I wanted for myself I would discuss it with DH first, and likewise with him (and honestly, it would probably end up being a birthday gift or something like that), but we don't have "spending money" persay. Little things, like an occasional coffee or candy bar we just...