or Connect

Posts by Heidi74

"I taught for eight years, and had just finished my MA in Literacy when DS1 was born. I'm home for a few years now while the kids are young, and I hope to work as a literacy coach someday. For right now, though, I love being home with them." Or, I just say that right now I'm home with my kids. It all depends on who is asking.
I don't really play with DS1 a lot either, although I will occasionally sit down and build a train track or get him started on a Lego house. Mostly, though, he plays on his own, and I think one reason he is good at playing independently is that he has a lot of opportunities to do so. That said, I do read to him a lot, and I try to engage him in the activites I am doing if he is interested. We do a child-focused outing every day (drop-in program, playdate, playground) and...
I'm so sorry you're having to deal with this, and if I were in your situation I think we would be thinking along the same lines you are. It must be really tough. My DH is up for tenure this May (university professor), and in his department about 50% of the applicants are denied tenure. So, even though things look hopeful, we have to face the reality that he may not be given a permanent position. If he is denied tenure, at least he is guaranteed a job for the following...
How about a stroller? That's the only way DS1 (08/07) will nap these days--fully reclined in the stroller. We've made it as cozy as we can, with a sheepskin under him and a comforter. Sometimes he wants his pillow too. I strap him in, give him his paci, and cover the stroller with a light blanket to block out the view. Then, we either take a walk or I just stand in the hallway and jiggle the stroller back and forth if it's too cold. He seems to like falling asleep that...
I think my first DS was about 7 1/2 months old and two months into BLW/Baby Led Solids, when my sister (no kids) asked me when we were going to start him on baby food. (DS had just tucked into what we were having for dinner, and was eating quite a lot of it, as I recall.) I told her that we weren't planning to use baby food and that table foods were working out just fine, upon which she replied: "But the jars are so CUTE! I want to feed him." Ummm...not a good enough...
Quote: Originally Posted by treegardner This thread is very interesting because all I have heard is the opposite. I only have 1 child, a boy, and all I hear is how "boys are so much easier than girls" and "boys love their moms so much." FWIW, DH is actually pretty close with my mom. They have a lot in common and get along really well. You know, I got those comments a lot when I only had one child too. In fact, I remember that during that first...
-how old was your toddler when your baby was born? DS1 was 23 months old when DS2 was born, so I barely fit in this category. :-) -if you had a toddler that really liked (demanded) to be held/carried, how did that work out? DS1 likes to be carried, but doesn't get whiny about it. I have found, though, that it helps to be a bit proactive about it. If I don't wear him at some point during the day, or have another type of alone-cuddle time (like sitting on my lap...
Quote: Originally Posted by joynsyde I thought the European medical system was more enlightened than our American system? When it comes to breastfeeding, this varies greatly depending on where in Europe you are. Scandinavia, for example, is very breastfeeding-friendly, while my impression is that France is not. (At least based on what friends who have lived there have told me.)
No answers, but I will be watching this thread closely for ideas. My DS1 is a bit younger--28 months, but we are having the same problems. DS2 is 5 months old, and most of the time, DS1 is such a great big brother...but then, suddenly, out of the blue he can start hitting him. Thankfully, he hasn't tried hitting him with toys (yet), but just the other evening I heard the baby crying desperately from his co-sleeper, and rushed into our bedroom to find DS1 (who had woken up...
Quote: Originally Posted by gypsymama2008 I honestly think the best way to teach your child to read is to just read to your child (Mem Fox has written an excellent book about this called Reading Magic) If your children do watch DVDs I suppose there could be worse movies for them to watch, but considering the price I would pass on it. Just read to your children and they'll learn to read just fine. I agree with this. Read to them a lot, and make...